Friday, 19 August 2011 13:48
The Aquino government enjoined local government units (LGUs) to help spread out the dengue traps in a bid to decrease the number of dengue cases in the country.
“We are trying to make sure that dengue traps are spread out to all of the affected areas in the country,” Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said during a regular press briefing on Wednesday in Malacanang.
According to Lacierda, the government is encouraging the LGUs and the communities to get dengue traps (Mosquito Ovicidal/Larvicidal trap or the OL Trap) from the Department of Science and Technology (DOST).
“It is actually very cheap and the dengue trap that the DOST have developed have been proven to be effective,” he said.
Last February 19, the DOST and the Department of Health kicked off the nationwide distribution of the Mosquito Ovicidal/Larvicidal trap or the OL Trap at the Balyuan Convention Center in Tacloban City.
The launch was anchored on firm partnership between the DOST and DOH to reduce the number of dengue-carrying mosquitoes and subsequently bring down the number of dengue cases in the country.
The OL Trap is a simple device that helps reduce the number of the dengue-carrying female Aedes aegypti mosquito by attracting mosquitoes and killing their eggs trapped in the kit.
Lacierda said the LGUs have an important role in the successful deployment of the technology as he acknowledged the effectiveness of the DOST-developed OL Trap based on previous tests. (PCOO/PIA9-BST)
- 08/09/2011 11:07 - Silsilah dialogue movement celebrates IFCL Basilan founding anniversary
- 08/09/2011 11:06 - Enhanced ARMM power, resources part of peace formula proposed to MILF
- 30/08/2011 00:00 - Singapore elects Tony Tan as president
- 23/08/2011 14:28 - GenSan pushes opening of more barter trading routes within BIMP-EAGA
- 19/08/2011 13:48 - PHL bans deployment of OFWs to Syria
- 19/08/2011 13:48 - Returning OFWs to be given government assistance
- 19/08/2011 13:47 - Santiago says RH bill part of privacy right
- 19/08/2011 13:47 - Tacurong City car bomb attack suspect arrested
- 17/08/2011 13:27 - Region 10 to host BIMP-EAGA SOMM
- 17/08/2011 13:26 - Chiz: Hate campaign threat by Bangsamoro groups baseless