Sunday, 11 September 2011 00:00
Newly-appointed Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director-General Nicanor Bartolome said Friday the country will see a people-friendly police force.
Bartolome said the PNP's new slogan “Pulis Ako, Pulis Nyo Po!” (I’m a cop, your cop).
President Benigno S. Aquino III installed Bartolome as new PNP Chief during turnover rites at the PNP headquarters in Camp Crame, Quezon City Friday.
“I will carry on from where General Bacalzo left off and sustain the integrated transformation program where he and his predecessors put their heart. We will set targets that measure reform programs,” Bartolome said in his speech.
The newly-installed PNP chief said that he would face the controversies that the police organization was currently facing.
One of his first orders was to have a policeman deployed to every barangay in the country in an effort to improve the police's role in maintaining peace and order.
Bartolome is from Barangay Pinasling, Gerona, Tarlac. He graduated from the Philippine Military Academy's “Mapitagan” Class of 1980 and served as PNP spokesperson for two terms.
He has a master's degree in business administration from Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila and a doctoral degree in criminology from the Philippine College of Criminology in 2009.
The new PNP chief is optimistic that during his term, the police will be seen as officers who have “initiative, with integrity and honest a friend you an easily approach, and you should not be afraid of.”
Bartolome also appealed to the 140,000-strong police force to join him in bringing back police pride.
“I want you to join me in service that is honest and decent,” said the new PNP chief. “We are now past in training of the basics. There is now a need to level up and cope with the changing times. We shall enhance individual skills. We shall specialize. We will give a premium to investigation, resource management and even disaster response,” said Bartolome who would serve until March 2013.
He also said resource management and disaster preparedness will be given importance in his term.
He said that the coordination between the police and the people was very important so a police officer would be deployed in every barangay.
Arrests of most wanted persons will be a target and a periodic performance audit will be submitted, he said.
Outgoing PNP Chief Director General Raul Bacalzo was awarded with a Medalya ng Katapatan sa Paglilingkod and the Legion of Honor who served 38 years in the police service. (PNA)
- 12/09/2011 14:33 - Religious groups support GPH's CASER draft framework for submission to NDF
- 12/09/2011 14:33 - Ochoa: Anti-terrorism law needs more teeth
- 12/09/2011 14:31 - Aquino declares Sept. 12-17 as Printing Industry Week
- 12/09/2011 14:31 - SPES law lowers family income requirement — Baldoz
- 11/09/2011 00:00 - Lawmaker bats for 10% increase in government retirees' monthly pension
- 08/09/2011 11:07 - Inflation eases to 4.7% in August
- 08/09/2011 11:07 - Silsilah dialogue movement celebrates IFCL Basilan founding anniversary
- 08/09/2011 11:06 - Enhanced ARMM power, resources part of peace formula proposed to MILF
- 30/08/2011 00:00 - Singapore elects Tony Tan as president
- 23/08/2011 14:28 - GenSan pushes opening of more barter trading routes within BIMP-EAGA