Saturday, 17 September 2011 10:23
PAL Ladies Interclub revival draws squads from all over
A total of 32 clubs from all over the country – including some of the most exclusive layouts – plus elite clubs from overseas will be seeing action in the revived Philippine Airlines Ladies Interclub golf tournament next month at the well-manicured Rancho Palos Verdes Golf and Country Club in Davao.
Alabang, former two-time winner of the event, will strive to continue its winning ways even as Manila Golf, Wack Wack, Sta. Elena, Tagaytay Highlands, Tagaytay Midlands and Tagaytay Belle are all primed to mount a serious challenge.
At stake for these upper-tier clubs are bragging rights that go to the winner of what is touted as the unofficial ladies golf team championship of the Philippines.
“With the theme ‘She Swings!,’ the revival of the PAL Ladies Interclub promises to be a smash hit, going by the successful team captains’ meeting last August 4. We’re all set and ready to go,” said PAL executive Dina May Flores, chairperson of the tournament.
The PAL Ladies Interclub will be played from October 11 to 14, re-launching a tournament that was a popular fixture on the local golf circuit in the 1980s.
But unlike before when the event – which began in 1984 and was staged for five years – was held in just one venue, the Cebu Country Club, Ladies Interclub steps out of Cebu for the first time and will follow the same course-hopping schedule that the Men’s Interclub is known for.
Luisita was the inaugural champion in 1984, followed by Villamor, Bonifacio and Alabang two years in a row.
In a sign of the tournament’s growing appeal, traditional Men’s powerhouses Del Monte of Bukidnon and Southwoods of Laguna will be fielding teams for the first time.
Enthusiasm of many lady golfers is seen in the fielding of more than one team from Manila Southwoods (2 teams), Valley Golf (2 teams) and Tagaytay Highlands (3 teams).
Adding spice to the competition are well-honed squads from the United States, Australia and Japan, which are expected to give local lady par-busters a stiff test, aside from infusing an international flavor to the event.
The PAL Ladies Interclub is backed by classic sponsors Stargate Media, Business Mirror, Hi-Definition Radio, GECAS, Crossover, Kumare Klub on TV5 and Boeing.
The donors are Asia Brewery, Tanduay and the Paris Hilton Shop at Abreeza Mall.
- 20/09/2011 13:37 - PHL investment program to reach P4T for 2011 to 2016
- 20/09/2011 13:36 - PHL to celebrate National Maritime Week on Sept. 26-Oct. 1
- 20/09/2011 13:36 - House passes P569.69M OPAPP budget
- 20/09/2011 13:35 - Stakeholders seek creation of ARMM Seaweeds council
- 17/09/2011 10:23 - AFP arrests ex-military comptroller Garcia
- 15/09/2011 10:54 - Palace congratulates Shamcey Supsup
- 15/09/2011 10:53 - PHL eyes lifting ban on “Au Pairs” in more European countries
- 15/09/2011 10:53 - Aquino appoints Suratos as new member of BSP Monetary Board
- 15/09/2011 10:53 - Malacanang says President has full trust and confidence on Delima
- 15/09/2011 10:52 - Philippine banks still strong amid recent bank closures – BSP