Tuesday, 20 September 2011 13:37
Vice President Jejomar C. Binay has urged Zamboanguenos to show the rest of the country that peace and understanding can be achieved through interaction of various culture groups in a community.
“The Philippines and the world can learn a lot from Zamboanga’s own Megayon Festival as it has successfully celebrated and shown that harmonious coexistence between diverse ethnic and religious groups is possible,” Binay said in a speech during the 59th anniversary celebration of Zamboanga del Sur in Pagadian City.
“Now, more than ever, we cannot stress the importance of unity and peace amid diversity in light of the challenges that our country faces,” he added.
The Vice President also said the renewed trust in government can help Filipinos bridge differences between cultures, religions and political inclinations in order to forge lasting peace.
He cited a recent Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey showing how optimistic Filipinos are about life and connected this with the renewed trust that people have in the Aquino administration.
“Ang tiwala ng nakararami sa pamahalaan ay napakataas at mula sa tiwalang ito, uusbong ang pagkakaisa sa pamamagitan ng pamahalaang nagbibigay-lakas sa bawa’t mamamayan na sundan ang kanyang matinong hangarin, na magtaguyod ng marangal na buhay,” he added.
The Vice President also made special mention of Atty. Darlene Pajarito and her crusade against human trafficking.
Binay, who is also the presidential Adviser for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW) Concerns, urged everyone to help in putting an end to human trafficking in the country.
“Sa kahirapan ng buhay, marami sa ating kababayan ang nagiging biktima ng nakapanlulumong krimen na ito at sa aming pagsisikap na lutasin ang salot ng human trafficiking, maliwanag na kakailangan natin ang tulong ng lahat,” he said.
“Ito ang mga hamong kinakaharap natin, at hangga’t hindi natin marating ang pagkakaisa at pagkakaintindihan ng iba’t ibang grupo sa ating bansa, mapapalayo tayo sa magandang kinabukasang hinahangad ng lahat,” he stressed. (PNA/PIA9-BST)
- 24/09/2011 10:17 - P-Noy announces P9-billion budget surplus
- 21/09/2011 13:26 - DepEd intends to construct 41,000 classrooms in 2012
- 21/09/2011 13:22 - Poverty reduction is everybody’s concern, says DSWD9 official
- 21/09/2011 13:20 - Nationwide transport holiday fails; protesters staged peaceful rallies – PNP
- 20/09/2011 13:38 - Army says NPA now engaging in banditry
- 20/09/2011 13:37 - PHL investment program to reach P4T for 2011 to 2016
- 20/09/2011 13:36 - PHL to celebrate National Maritime Week on Sept. 26-Oct. 1
- 20/09/2011 13:36 - House passes P569.69M OPAPP budget
- 20/09/2011 13:35 - Stakeholders seek creation of ARMM Seaweeds council
- 17/09/2011 10:23 - AFP arrests ex-military comptroller Garcia