Saturday, 24 September 2011 10:19
The Department of Science and Technology (DOST) has recently released a P760,324 grant to the Regional Information Technology and E-Commerce Committee-9 (RITECC-9) to carry out the project “Piloting of STARBOOKS in selected schools and libraries here in Zamboanga Peninsula.”
DOST Regional Director Brenda Nazareth-Manzano said the project, which is implemented through DOST's Grants-in-Aid (GIA), is aimed provide an effective and efficient access to Science and Technology (S&T) information through the use of Information and Communications Technologies (ICT).
STARBOOKS, which stands for Science and Technology Academic and Research-Based Openly-Operated Kiosk Station, is a stand alone, onsite research kiosk that provides free access on S&T information for academic and livelihood use, Manzano explained.
Manzano said the system provides relevant and latest information on S&T subjects.
Manzano added that the users can have access to thousands of titles of books, journals, scientific researches, technical and annual reports and other latest data and information contained at the DOST’s Science Information Network (SciNeT), Philippine eLib project sources, freely-available online resources, and subscribed databases.
The project also aims to create and enhance interest of students in the field of S&T, encourage their great and curious minds to develop new ideas, inventions and innovations and stimulate and inspire their capacity to get involved in research and entrepreneurship, Manzano said.
She said the recipients of the project are selected educational institutions and libraries here in Zamboanga Peninsula with S&T priority subjects in their curriculum as identified by the RITECC-IX members.
RITECC-9, which implements the project, is a special committee on ICT under the Regional Development Council-9 (RDC-9).
Manzano said that other schools who wish to avail of the STARBOOKS will be given the contents and software for free.
However, she said they are required to provide for the computer system with the minimum requirements specified for the installation of the STARBOOKS software.
STARBOOKS is the First Philippine Science Digital Library developed by the Science and Technology Information Institute (STII) of DOST.
For more information about the project, Manzano interested parties may visit or call the DOST regional office at Pettit Barracks, Zamboanga City with telephone numbers (062)991-1024 and look for Ms. Thelma E. Diego. (PNA/PIA9-BST)
- 27/09/2011 14:31 - 2 of 7 Ipil gas stations obtain compliance certificate - DOE
- 27/09/2011 14:31 - Envoy cites PHL's role in reconstructing Japan
- 27/09/2011 14:30 - Gov't sets aside P500-M to curb oil smuggling
- 24/09/2011 10:38 - Zamboanga Chong Hua High School Alumni Basketball Tourney - A huge success!
- 24/09/2011 10:19 - Aquino vows to remove people's disillusionment with government
- 24/09/2011 10:18 - Pres. Aquino orders review of oil deregulation law
- 24/09/2011 10:18 - Aquino urges Public Relations practitioners to help in moving the country towards progress and development
- 24/09/2011 10:17 - P-Noy announces P9-billion budget surplus
- 21/09/2011 13:26 - DepEd intends to construct 41,000 classrooms in 2012
- 21/09/2011 13:22 - Poverty reduction is everybody’s concern, says DSWD9 official