Wednesday, 28 September 2011 15:03
With many Filipinos still dependent on the coconut industry, Senator Edgardo Angara called on Monday on the government to provide economic incentives to coconut farmers, especially the small-scale tillers, to encourage them to plant more trees and boost coconut production in the country.
Angara issued the call following the announcement of President Benigno S. Aquino III that quite a few American companies have pledged multimillion-dollar investments to the country’s coconut industry.
“We must encourage our coconut farmers, especially the small-scale tillers, to plant more coconut trees to replace the ones that have become unproductive. To do this, we must offer incentives to make up for the waiting period before the new seedlings grow,” said Angara, chair of the Congressional Commission on Science, Technology and Engineering (COMSTE).
“With so many Filipinos dependent on the industry living in poverty or getting by through subsistence farming, we must help this sector attain higher productivity and profitability,” he added.
Angara, also a former agriculture secretary, filed Senate Bill 2051 or the Coconut Industry Development Act in 2010. The bill seeks to create a corporate body known as the Philippine Coconut Industry Development Authority (PHILCIDA) in order to promote the continuous development and growth of the coconut industry.
The body shall be tasked with maximizing the earnings of small coconut farmers and their families through the implementation of new policies in processing and transportation, research and development, marketing and promotion of the coconut products.
The measure is still pending in the Committees on Agriculture and Food, Government Corporations and Public Enterprises; Ways and Means, and Finance.
“Multi-million investments in the country’s coconut industry present a big potential for economic growth. The Philippine coconut industry should capitalize on this new demand by innovating to increase coconut production and by providing support to our farmers,” Angara said. (PNA/PIA9-BST)
- 04/10/2011 13:19 - Gov't earmarks P1-B for pork, chicken production
- 29/09/2011 10:28 - AboitizPower and Marubeni to add 400 MW to Luzon grid
- 29/09/2011 10:28 - DOLE intervenes with ‘oversubscribed’ college courses
- 29/09/2011 10:27 - DOLE fixes jobs and skills mismatch
- 29/09/2011 10:27 - POEA announces nursing vacancies in Japan
- 28/09/2011 15:03 - Navy conducts series of Medcap, Dencap, Vetcap Activities
- 27/09/2011 14:31 - 2 of 7 Ipil gas stations obtain compliance certificate - DOE
- 27/09/2011 14:31 - Envoy cites PHL's role in reconstructing Japan
- 27/09/2011 14:30 - Gov't sets aside P500-M to curb oil smuggling
- 24/09/2011 10:38 - Zamboanga Chong Hua High School Alumni Basketball Tourney - A huge success!