Friday, 21 October 2011 10:57
President Benigno S. Aquino III has declared the period of November 14 to 18, 2011 as "Civil Engineering Week" to underscore the need to focus national attention on the importance of the civil engineering profession and highlight its role in nation building.
In a regular press briefing in Malacanang on Wednesday, Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte said the Proclamation No. 272 which was signed on October 11, 2011 by Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa Jr. on behalf of the President.
"The Philippine Institute of Civil Engineers, Inc. (PICE) is composed of more than 68,495 registered civil engineer-members in 97 chapters and some 15,135 civil engineering student-members in 166 student chapters throughout the country," the proclamation said.
The PICE’s celebration of the “Civil Engineering Week” is in conjunction with the 37th National Convention on November 17-19, 2011 at the Limketkai Atrium and Grand Caprice Restaurant and Convention Center, Cagayan de Oro City.
The history of civil engineering as a profession dates back to 1920 when the Philippine Society of Civil Engineers (PSCE) was founded by a group of civil engineers mostly in government. In 1937, a group of civil engineers from the private sector organized the Philippine Association of Civil Engineers (PACE).
Realizing that the two organizations shared the same objectives of raising the standards of the profession, encouraging research and engineering knowledge and technology, fostering fellowship among their members, and promoting interrelation with other technological and scientific societies, the PSCE and PACE merged in 1972 to form what is now known as the PICE.
- 28/10/2011 09:43 - Palace says offensive against lawless elements to continue
- 26/10/2011 11:16 - CEB flies 2.8 million passengers in Q3, posts 12% growth
- 26/10/2011 11:15 - Fr. Tentorio laid to rest in Kidapawan
- 24/10/2011 12:03 - Military convoy attacked on Sunday, 2 soldiers killed
- 24/10/2011 12:01 - Bangun Ra'ayat expands to other Tawi-Tawi towns
- 21/10/2011 10:56 - DBM releases P1.5B for premium arrears of PhilHealth
- 21/10/2011 10:55 - Ochoa directs PNP to beef up visibility for Christmas season
- 18/10/2011 15:20 - Muslim neighbors support Aboitiz power plant
- 17/10/2011 13:12 - 21 PNP officials, civilian conspirators in P131.5-M rubber boat scam raps
- 17/10/2011 13:11 - CIDG belies NZ woman’s sex ordeal in PHL