Friday, 28 October 2011 09:43
Malacanang vowed that military operations against the killers of the 19 soldiers in Basilan will continue stressing, clarifying however that the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) is not being targeted as an entity and the offensive will only target lawless elements.
“The pursuit of the lawless elements will continue. The President is very categorical, ‘you cooperate or you stand aside.’ Dahil we are trying to make the distinction kung sino talaga ang gusto talaga ay kapayapaan at kung sino po yung nakikihalubilo lang at nagkukubli,” Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte said in a press briefing in Malacanang on Tuesday.
Going after the bandit groups is a different thing from the peace talks with the MILF, Valte said, adding that security forces know how to handle the offensive.
With regards to the population being displaced by the military operations, Valte said the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) is on the ground and Social Welfare Secretary Dinky Soliman was given instructions to help civilians affected by the military operations.
Reacting to reports that the MILF is providing sanctuary to criminal groups, Valte said it is prohibited in the ceasefire agreement with the government for the MILF to provide safe haven to lawless elements in its jurisdiction.
President Benigno S. Aquino III assured the nation on Monday that the government was exerting all necessary efforts to arrest the killers of the 19 soldiers in Basilan last week calling the offensive “all-out justice.”
In his message during a press briefing in Malacanang, President Aquino vowed to put the killers to justice and continuously attend to the needs of those people that may be affected by the operations.
He likewise noted that while there will be some who will use the incident to gain political leverage and further agitate the public, rash decisions fuelled by a thirst for vengeance can only serve to dishonor the memory of the 19 soldiers who died in the Basilan clash.
- 29/10/2011 10:00 - Aquino leads awarding of 2011 Child Friendly Municipalities and Cities
- 29/10/2011 09:59 - Confed-Mindanao members express support to P-Noy’s call for all-out justice, peace
- 29/10/2011 09:58 - 15 newly-dug graves found in Zambo Sibugay as rebel-outlaws flee due to airstrikes
- 28/10/2011 09:44 - AboitizPower presents water plans, bags Davao land reclassification vote
- 28/10/2011 09:44 - Globe Telecom welcomes PLDT’s divestment of 10Mhz 3G frequency
- 26/10/2011 11:16 - CEB flies 2.8 million passengers in Q3, posts 12% growth
- 26/10/2011 11:15 - Fr. Tentorio laid to rest in Kidapawan
- 24/10/2011 12:03 - Military convoy attacked on Sunday, 2 soldiers killed
- 24/10/2011 12:01 - Bangun Ra'ayat expands to other Tawi-Tawi towns
- 21/10/2011 10:57 - Aquino declares Nov. 14 to 18 as ‘Civil Engineering Week’