My Google Page Rank

15 newly-dug graves found in Zambo Sibugay as rebel-outlaws flee due to airstrikes

PDFPrintE-mail

Government forces that overran a rebel-outlaw stronghold in Zamboanga Sibugay have found 15 freshly dug graves and are now clearing the area of unexploded landmines planted by the enemy before they fled during a wave of bombing runs by Philippine Air Force planes, a military spokesman said.

Col. Arnulfo Burgos Jr., spokesman of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), said in a press briefing in Camp Crame Thursday afternoon that wanted notorious outlaw leader Waning Abdulsalam’s heavily fortified hideout in Sitio Talaib in the town of Payao had been captured after two days of gun battle and pounding by OV-10 light bombers of the PAF.

Lt. Gen. Raymundo B. Ferrer, commander of the Western Mindanao Command (WesMinCom), visited the area to supervise the ongoing military operation, together with Vice Admiral Armando Guzman, commander of the Naval Force Western Command (NFWeM), and Chief Elpidio de Asis of the Philippine National Police (PNP) for Region 9.

It was believed the fleeing outlaws suffered heavy casualties as shown by the blood found scattered in the area.

“I have just visited the area in Sitio Talaib, Barangay Labatan, Payao where we had been conducting joint operations with the PNP for the past days,” Ferrer said in a text message to Manila-based reporters.

“We have occupied Waning Abdulsalam’s fortified structures and our focus right now is clearing the area of unexploded mines,” he added.
“We could not move freely since our EOD (explosive ordinance demolition) team has to mark first the safe areas where we can pass through,” the area said.

Ferrer also said that the troops are also searching the mangrove nearby where it was reported that the rebel-outlaws “hastily dumped their firearms” as they fled in fear when Air Force men launched a series of airstrikes along with artillery bombardment by the Philippine Army.

“Efforts are also exerted to locate the wounded criminals who may have slipped the cordon during the night,” Ferrer said.

According to Ferrer, the troops noticed 15 freshly dug graves in the cemetery of a nearby fishing village, hinting that these were the bodies of the outlaws who were killed during the combined military-police assault on the enemy’s lair.

“I gave instructions to our soldiers not to disturb the graves anymore,” Ferrer said in his text message.

Ferrer pointed out that “the fishing village is actually the south side strongpoint of the criminals” where there is a small mosque in the area.

“Blood is everywhere. I guess this is where they brought their wounded and dying comrades,” he said, adding that “gun emplacements were found at the northern part of Sitio Talaib.”

The soldiers recovered one .50 caliber machine gun, although there were two machine gun nests fortified with logs and sand, he said.

The outlaws were also armed with two .50 caliber machine guns during the firefight, Ferrer said.

Ferrer said the outlaw’s hideout "is laden with mines that you have to admire the ground troops for their steadfast determination to regain the territory from the lawless group.”

“The safe haven of kidnapping operations and terrorist activities in Zamboanga Sibugasy has fallen,” Ferrer announced following the capture of the outlaws' stronghold.

“We have reestablished our authority in this part of Payao and we owe it to the joint forces, our army, air force, navy and police who fought long and hard,” Ferrer said.

Government troops launched hot pursuit operations against lawless elements in Mindanao following the ambush-killing of 19 Army Special Forces in Al-Barka, Basilan last October 18. Fourteen other soldiers were wounded during the attack by combined forces of renegade Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) members and armed bandits in the area.

Two more soldiers and four others were wounded when a bandit group attacked them in Lanao del Norte.

President Benigno S. Aquino III has rejected calls for an all-out war against the MILF but vowed all-out justice for the slain soldiers with the military launching hot pursuit operations against the perpetrators of the recent attacks.

“We will not pursue all-out war; we will instead pursue all-out justice,” the President stressed in a statement.

“There have been calls to wage an 'all-out war' against the MILF. While it is tempting for government to join the chorus in calling for blood, we believe that such a course of action is not appropriate at this point. We are not interested in knee-jerk reactions that will jeopardize our efforts to address the roots of conflict in the region,” he stated in a press briefing held in Malacañang.

Aquino said that choosing war over peace talks will result to further problems. “It is so easy, out of frustration, to close the door on negotiations at this time. If we go down this path, more innocent civilians will be put in harm’s way. The difficult peace process cannot be enhanced by shedding more blood and generating more ill will. We have to exhaust all possibilities for attaining peace through dialogue.”

The President said he has ordered intensified operations against all the criminal elements. “The mailed fist of the state will be brought to bear upon them so that justice may be served. There is no question that the state will find them; the only remaining question is when. There will be sacrifices in addressing this decades-old problem.”

Aquino urged all sectors to cooperate in this endeavor. “This is not a purely military or police effort. Our local government and community leaders must assist in our efforts to achieve a holistic solution to the problems of the region,” he said, stressing that the government will always be mindful of the safety and needs of the people.

“Let me remind everyone that there are those who will try to use this incident to gain political leverage and further agitate the public. Rash decisions fueled by a thirst for vengeance can only serve to dishonor the memory of the 19 brave souls who died last week, and the many others lost in our efforts to win the peace,” he added.

Various sectors, particularly in Mindanao, called on the public to support Aquino’s decision not to pursue an all-out war against the MILF.

Former President Fidel V. Ramos also supported the move of President Aquino.

Sulu Governor Abdusakur Tan said, “War mongering will only worsen the situation and stokes sentiments that are divisive and counter-productive. Sobriety is called to fore in these trying times and patience should prevail to give peace a surviving chance.”

Rep. Pangalian Balindong likewise said no to total war in Mindanao. “To wage 'total' war is by definition to take huge numbers of innocent lives -- and perpetuate the cycle of senseless violence, death, and destruction.”

In the same light, the Association of Women Religious in the Archdiocese of Cotabato stated that all-out war can cause massive displacement as what happened during the time of former President Joseph Estrada. “In an all-out war, it’s the civilians that will suffer, anger and hatred among people will escalate especially among those who lost their loved ones because of war.”

Fr. Robert Reyes, more popularly known as the running priest, said that violence breeds more violence. “Right now, we need to reassess our ways during armed struggles. With the President’s decision not to wage war against the MILF, I just hope that the constituencies of peace will grow.”
The San Carlos Borromeo Parish Pastoral Council, in its statement, appealed for “peace and sobriety in this most trying time for us Mindanaoans in the wake of the Basilan crisis.”

“We condemn, in the strongest terms, violence and criminality. We appreciate the stand of the President to pursue the Peace Process as well as the MILF's suggestion for an impartial investigation. We, however, seek justice for the 19 young soldiers and five MILF combatants who were killed,” they also said.
The Philippine Center for Islam and Democracy also called for the “immediate conduct of an investigation to pinpoint once and for all the culprit of these atrocities and spare the innocent civilians from armed hostilities.”

On the other hand, the Bangsamoro civil society organizations in South Central Mindanao expressed support to the steadfastness of the Office of the Presidential Adviser on Peace Process (OPAPP) Secretary Teresita Deles in pushing for peace initiatives in the region.

The Al-Mujadillah Development Foundation likewise issued a statement supporting President Aquino's call for everyone to come together to achieve a holistic solution in the region.

By Ben Cal-PIA9-ZBST




Related news items:
Newer news items:
Older news items:

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Summer sport program set for May

29 Mar 2017 Hits:51 Be the first to comment!

Some 26 sport disciplines will be offered in the month-long summer sports program to be spearheaded by the local government this May. The Basic Sports Summer Camp 2017, most commonly known as the Learn to Play a Sport Program, is a training and sports clinic which aims to teach children ages 8 to 15 the rudiments of their chosen sport discipline for free. Now on its 22nd year, the summer Learn to Play is part of the local government’s sports development program. Aside from providing a fun and recreational learning experience during their summer break, the month-long program also serves as a training ground to scout and hone future athletes of the City. This year’s summer Learn to Play will include: archery, arnis, [...] Read more

Prev Next Page:

Summer activities lined up for Sta. Cruz isle

29 Mar 2017 Hits:28 Be the first to comment!

The city government through its Protected Area Management Unit (PAMU) has lined up several activities for the enjoyment of the flux of visitors who are expected to troop to Sta. [...] Read more


Businesswoman, companion robbed

29 Mar 2017 Hits:27 Be the first to comment!

A businesswoman and her companion were allegedly robbed at gunpoint by three unidentified armed suspects along Don Alfaro Street, Barangay Tetuan, this city, Monday night. The victims were identified as Darwisa [...] Read more


SS Chair delivers keynote message during 16th National Convention of Lawyers

29 Mar 2017 Hits:29 Be the first to comment!

Social Security Commission Chairman (SSC) Dean Amado D. Valdez (top photo) stressed the importance of paradigm shift to provide SSS with greater income opportunities which will also translate to the [...] Read more


Globe lands SEA-US cable system in Davao City; nears commercial operations

28 Mar 2017 Hits:62 Be the first to comment!

Globe Telecom successfully landed over the weekend the Southeast Asia-United States (SEA-US) submarine cable system, bringing the company one step closer towards the provision of richer and enhanced international connectivity [...] Read more


Metro Manila residents feel safer; cops step up crime drive

28 Mar 2017 Hits:50 Be the first to comment!

At least 82 percent of Metro Manila residents feel safer in the streets due to the intensified police campaign against illegal drugs, a Pulse Asia survey shows. Pulse Asia randomly selected [...] Read more


SSS eyes mandatory OFW coverage

28 Mar 2017 Hits:50 Be the first to comment!

The state-run Social Security System said it is asking the help of lawmakers to implement the mandatory coverage of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) following its goal to expand its members’ [...] Read more


Students under SPES to help direct traffic flow - Jawo

28 Mar 2017 Hits:61 Be the first to comment!

The city government will use the services of students under the Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) to help in the implementation of the experimental traffic rerouting scheme. Traffic coordinator [...] Read more


(For effective traffic scheme:) Illegal parking not tolerated

28 Mar 2017 Hits:60 Be the first to comment!

Authorities warned motorists anew against illegal parking, particularly in light of the experimental traffic scheme currently being implemented. Executive Assistant Jawo Jimenez said owners of illegally parked vehicles will immediately receive [...] Read more


(TFZ change of command set today:) Beng cites Uy for efforts vs terrorism

28 Mar 2017 Hits:58 Be the first to comment!

Mayor Beng Climaco has cited Col. Juvymax Uy, outgoing commander of Task Force Zamboanga for his hardwork and efforts in maintaining peace and security in the city that resulted to [...] Read more


LIAC on transportation tackles traffic scheme, truck ban

25 Mar 2017 Hits:155 Be the first to comment!

The City Administrator’s Office on Thursday afternoon convened the Local Inter-Agency Committee (LIAC) on the Enforcement of Land Transportation Regulations to tackle pressing issues affecting traffic in the city’s main [...] Read more


Visually-impaired Dapilin graduates cum laude

25 Mar 2017 Hits:92 Be the first to comment!

A visually-impaired student from Basilan Province is graduating cum laude with a degree of Bachelor of Science in Education at the Western Mindanao State University (WMSU) on Wednesday, March 29. Abdulazis [...] Read more


Chides Magdalo men for being ‘cowards’

24 Mar 2017 Hits:121 Be the first to comment!

President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday branded Vice President Leni Robredo as an enemy who was in a hurry to claim the presidency and described Senator Antonio Trillanes IV as “a [...] Read more


Globe equips Manila Science HS with 21st Century classroom

24 Mar 2017 Hits:95 Be the first to comment!

Globe Telecom and Habitat for Humanity officially turned over to Manila Science High School (MaSci) over the weekend a multifunctional Information and Communications Technology (ICT) laboratory with a collaborative working [...] Read more


WestMinCom troops honor fallen marine soldier

24 Mar 2017 Hits:99 Be the first to comment!

A fallen soldier from the Marine Battalion Landing Team (MBLT)-2, who was killed during a clash with communist rebels, was honored in a send-off ceremony before he was brought to [...] Read more


Six alleged drug pushers arrested

24 Mar 2017 Hits:97 Be the first to comment!

Six persons, including a minor, were arrested in a series of buy-bust operations conducted by the different police stations of the Zamboanga City Police Office (ZCPO), Wednesday. The Drug Enforcement Team [...] Read more


MGB-9 orders stoppage of illegal gold mining in Baliguian town

23 Mar 2017 Hits:94 Be the first to comment!

Local small-scale miners looking for gold ores were ordered to stop illegal mining activities in Pigbogololan area in the rural town of Baliguian, Zamboanga del Norte early this month after [...] Read more


Globe myBusiness gives tips to working in the comfort of your own home

23 Mar 2017 Hits:95 Be the first to comment!

Many business owners enjoy working from home, but there’s a challenge that automatically comes with it.  There are certainly many perks, like being in charge of your own time, dressing [...] Read more


Cocolisap funds await PCA, City Hall coordination gab

22 Mar 2017 Hits:88 Be the first to comment!

Funds to rehabilitate the coconut industry following the cocolisap devastation cannot be released as of yet until after the Philippine Coconut Authority (PCA) regional office 9 and the city government [...] Read more