Saturday, 29 October 2011 10:00
President Benigno S. Aquino III led the awarding ceremonies for this year’s search for the Child Friendly Municipalities and Cities at Rizal Hall of Malacañang Palace Thursday.
The Presidential Award for the Child Friendly Municipalities and Cities was initiated by the Council for the Welfare of Children and is considered as a self-assessment mechanism of the level of child-friendliness of a particular city or municipality.
The award also recognizes local government units that put in place a “child-friendly” environment and uphold the rights of Filipino children to survival, development, protection and participation.
There are five categories for the Presidential Award, namely – 4th to 6th Class Municipality, 1st to 3rd Class Municipality, Component City, Independent Component City and Highly Urbanized City.
The five winners who will each receive a Presidential Trophy and P300,000 cash prize are: the Municipality of Villaverde, Nueva Vizcaya; Mariveles, Bataan; Vigan City, Ilocos Sur; Santiago City, Isabela; and Mandaluyong City, respectively.
In his speech, President Aquino cited the five winners for putting the children’s welfare as a top priority of its governance that he said was in line with the National Government’s efforts to protect and uplift the lives of our children.
He said the government’s poverty alleviation programs, namely: the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps) and the national health program Philhealth has been steadily been receiving funding to cover more beneficiaries.
He said that as of end of September, some 2.23 million Filipino families are now benefiting from the 4Ps while 5.2 million families now have healthcare.
The President also stressed that the government has made education a top priority as P1-billion has been raised through the Counter-Parting for Classroom Construction Program to construct 1,300 classrooms nationwide.
- 03/11/2011 10:30 - SN AboitizPower revives old glory of Ambuklao dam
- 30/10/2011 16:01 - U.S. State Secretary Clinton to visit Philippines in November - Del Rosario
- 30/10/2011 16:01 - 4 caregivers cited for Japan heroism
- 30/10/2011 16:00 - Philippines to seize Marcos properties
- 30/10/2011 16:00 - Palace asked to explain 'grey areas' in P5M MILF aid
- 29/10/2011 09:59 - Confed-Mindanao members express support to P-Noy’s call for all-out justice, peace
- 29/10/2011 09:58 - 15 newly-dug graves found in Zambo Sibugay as rebel-outlaws flee due to airstrikes
- 28/10/2011 09:44 - AboitizPower presents water plans, bags Davao land reclassification vote
- 28/10/2011 09:44 - Globe Telecom welcomes PLDT’s divestment of 10Mhz 3G frequency
- 28/10/2011 09:43 - Palace says offensive against lawless elements to continue