Monday, 14 November 2011 11:11
LAS VEGAS, Nevada – Two upcoming Filipino fighters -- Dennis Laurente and Fernando Lumacad -- defeated separate opponents in the undercard of the Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez World Boxing Organization welterweight championship at the MGM Grand Arena here Saturday night (Sunday morning in Manila).
Laurente, of Palompon, Leyte, who at 34 still remains a faceless campaigner in the international scene, showed why he is the more experienced compared to Ghanaian Ayi Bruce whom he knocked out in the seventh round to pick up his 37th win in a 45-fight career.
Lumacad, a descendant of the Lumacad boxing family that included the late Philippine and Orient-Pacific contender Speed Cabanela, placed Joseph Rios, who fights out of San Antonio, Texas, at the palm of his hands right in the opening bell that earned for him the unanimous decision of the three judges in their eight-round super-flyweight bout.
With combinations to the body, Laurente put the young Bruce out for good, dropping him to the canvass with only 57 seconds left in the seventh of an eight-round welterweight showdown for good.
That was Laurente’s 20th stoppage victory that, hopefully, can earn the Johnny Elorde-handled Filipino in the list of big money list.
Laurente led in all cards with judge Bob Bennet scoring the fight 59-55, judge Al Lefkowitz, 55-55, and judge Dick Houck, 60-54.
Lumacad likewise showed the way in all scorecards. Judge Bennet saw him the winner, 78-72, judge Houck, 77-73, and judge Duane Ford, 77-74.
Lumacad won in all but the first round in Bennet’s eyes, while Houck and Ford gave three rounds each to Rios.
By Eddie G. Alinea
- 15/11/2011 11:36 - Sibugay peace and order back to normal- PNP
- 15/11/2011 11:35 - US-Russian crew blasts off for space station
- 15/11/2011 11:35 - Philippine Tourism Industry finally united
- 15/11/2011 11:34 - Caregiving graduates take national competency exam at PPTS
- 14/11/2011 11:16 - AFP to propose new modernization plan
- 14/11/2011 11:10 - Grand hero’s welcome awaits Pacman in Sarangani, GenSan
- 12/11/2011 11:46 - Coco-coir stakeholders consultative meeting slated in Pagadian
- 12/11/2011 11:45 - Malacañang moves against group misrepresenting as gov't officials
- 09/11/2011 11:25 - Aquino congratulates Ruais for winning first runner up in 2011 Miss World beauty pageant
- 09/11/2011 11:23 - ‘Smokin’ Joe Frazier loses battle against liver cancer