My Google Page Rank

US-Russian crew blasts off for space station


MOSCOW — A Russian spacecraft carrying an American and two Russians blasted off Monday from the snow-covered Kazakh steppes in a faultless launch that eased anxiety and fears about the future of U.S. and Russian space programs.

The Soyuz TMA-22 lifted off as scheduled at 8:14 a.m. (0414 GMT) Monday from the snow-covered Russian-leased Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan to carry NASA astronaut Dan Burbank and Russians Anton Shkaplerov and Anatoly Ivanishin on a mission to the International Space Station.

The launch had been delayed for two months due to the crash of an unmannned Progress cargo ship in August. It cast doubts about future missions to the station, because the rocket that crashed used the same upper stage as the booster rockets carrying Soyuz ships to orbit.

NASA warned that the space outpost will need to be abandoned temporarily for the first time in nearly 11 years if a new crew cannot be launched before the last of the station's six residents fly back to Earth in mid-November.

Russian space officials tracked down the Progress launch failure to an "accidental" manufacturing flaw and recalled all Soyuz rockets that had been built from space launchpads for a thorough examination. A successful launch of a Progress ship last month cleared the way for the crew to be launched.

The crew said they trusted the Soyuz, a workhorse of the Soviet and then Russian space program for more than 40 years. "We have no black thoughts and full confidence in our technology," Shkaplerov told journalists before the launch.

The new crew are to arrive just in time to keep the orbiting station manned. The three crew members currently on board the station are set to return to Earth on Nov. 21. Another crew launch next month is to take the station back to its normal six-person crew mode.

The 39-year-old Shkaplerov and 42-year-old Ivanishin are making their first flights into space. Burbank, 50, who will take over command of the space station, is a veteran of 12-day shuttle missions in 2000 and 2006. The three men are to remain aboard the space station until March.

Even in case of an engine failure like the one that led to the Progress crash in August, a Soyuz crew would have been rescued by an emergency escape system. But any further launch trouble would have prompted NASA to rethink the space station program, that now relies exclusively on Russian spacecraft after the retirement of the U.S. space shuttle fleet in July.

The August Progress crash was one in a string of spectacular launch failures that have raised concerns about the state of Russia's space industries. Last December, Russia has lost three navigation satellites when a rocket carrying them failed to reach orbit. A military satellite was lost in February, and the launch of the Express-AM4, described by officials as Russia's most powerful telecommunications satellite, went awry in August.

In the latest failure, an unmanned probe intended to collect ground samples on Phobos, a moon of Mars, in the most ambitious Russian interplanetary mission since the Soviet era, suffered an equipment failure shortly after Wednesday's launch and got stuck in Earth orbit. Efforts to contact the Phobos-Grunt (Phobos-Ground) craft have been unsuccessful and it's expected to come crashing down in a couple of weeks.

Russian space officials blamed the botched launches on obsolete equipment and an aging workforce. The space agency said it will establish its own quality inspection teams at rocket factories to tighten oversight over production quality.

By Vladimir Isachenkov

Related news items:
Newer news items:
Older news items:

Add comment

Security code

Four Kidnap victims rescued in Zamboanga del Norte

14 Mar 2018 Hits:176 Be the first to comment!

Four kidnap victims, who were held captive for nine days in Sirawai town, Zamboanga del Norte, have been escued, the military said. The Western Mindanao Command's spokesperson, Capt. Jo-Ann Petinglay, said as troops continue their rescue operations against lawless elements in Zamboanga Peninsula area, four kidnap victims were rescued in Sirawai, Zamboanga del Norte at 3:00 p.m. on Monday. Petinglay identified the rescued kidnap victims as Roger Jung-an; Jomar Maglangit; Jomar Mantangan; and Raymond Purisima who were left by their disoriented captors after soldiers and policemen had been relentlessly pursuing them since their abduction. Accordingly, the four are chainsaw operators and laborers, all residents of Barangay San Vicente, Sirawai, Zamboanga del Norte, who were abducted at the vicinity of Barangay Panabutan of Sirawai [...] Read more

Prev Next Page:

Beng urges women: Be brave, be strong

09 Mar 2018 Hits:213 Be the first to comment!

In celebration of women empowerment, Mayor Beng Climaco urged all women to be brave and strong amidst challenges and difficulties. Speaking to hundreds of women and men who joined the Marcha [...] Read more

CA denies Musa’s motion on IP seat in City Council

09 Mar 2018 Hits:229 Be the first to comment!

The Court of Appeals has denied Ismael Musa’s motion for reconsideration relative to his assertion as sectoral representative of the Indigenous People in the Sangguniang Panlungsod of Zamboanga City. In a [...] Read more

City welcomes Curuan-Sibuco road

07 Mar 2018 Hits:322 Be the first to comment!

Mayor Beng Climaco has welcomed the inclusion of the Curuan-Sibuco road project, one of the subprojects proposed under Improving Growth Corridors in Mindanao Road Sector Project (IGCMRSP) of the Department [...] Read more

Beng welcomes Litlit’s appointment as SP member

15 Feb 2018 Hits:457 Be the first to comment!

President Rodrigo Duterte has appointed San Roque Barangay Chairman Joselito “Litlit” Macrohom as member of the Sangguniang Panlungsod or City council replacing Charlie Mariano who stepped down from office last [...] Read more

City Registrar observes Civil Reg Month

15 Feb 2018 Hits:323 Be the first to comment!

The city, through the Office of the City Civil Registrar,is observing the Civil Registration Month this February with several activities highlighting the importance of civil registration. The month-long observance is punctuated [...] Read more

CHO stresses need for measles vaccination

14 Feb 2018 Hits:370 Be the first to comment!

The City Health Office (CHO) yesterday appealed to parents to submit their children for measles vaccination. This after a seven-month baby died last February 6, 2018 allegedly due to measles, five [...] Read more


11 Jan 2018 Hits:514 Be the first to comment!

Este el Istoria del Jong Cariaga Mindanao Cup 2018 que ya hace na Golden Boys gym anoche. Ya sale Champion el Myeisha Jolo kay completo todo departamento del juego especialmente [...] Read more

BFP personnel to undergo fire suppression activities

10 Jan 2018 Hits:455 Be the first to comment!

Personnel of the Bureau of Fire Protection in Zamboanga City will undergo fire suppression trainings in the days to come in a bid to keep them abreast of the firefighting [...] Read more


10 Jan 2018 Hits:419 Be the first to comment!

Del Domingo pasao ya mira kita con el Resto Del Mundo FC contra Red Corals United donde ya sale Tabla el juego na Soccer Football. Amo quel el ultimo juego [...] Read more

TFZ gets 10 motorcycles from City Government

09 Jan 2018 Hits:458 Be the first to comment!

Task Force Zamboanga (TFZ) on Monday received from the local government 10 units of XRM motorcycles for security patrols in the outskirts of the city. Mayor Beng Climaco together with Councilor [...] Read more

Beng leads destruction of seized items

09 Jan 2018 Hits:452 Be the first to comment!

To show the Local Government’s firm commitment to public safety and security, Mayor Beng Climaco on Monday personally maneuvered a road roller and led the destruction of seized items such [...] Read more

Warring clans arm cache seized by gov't troops in Lanao del Sur

09 Jan 2018 Hits:463 Be the first to comment!

The military on Saturday seized a cached of high-powered firearms from warring clans, following a clearing operation in Lanao del Sur province. Capt. Jo-Ann Petinglay, spokesperson of the Western Mindanao Command, [...] Read more


09 Jan 2018 Hits:404 Be the first to comment!

MINDANAO LEAGUE 2018 BY JONG CARIAGA: Boalan Agm  nuevo star athlete Kaiwa Sabdulla y si Neil Jumao-as ya dale mira kay puede sila gana con el maga mapuersa team como el [...] Read more


08 Jan 2018 Hits:335 Be the first to comment!

JONG CARIAGA BASKETBALL MINDANAO CUP ‘18. Que el juego ta ase na golden boys gym ta principia 7:00 del noche. Fritz Vesagas amo el ya ase gana con el disuyu [...] Read more


07 Jan 2018 Hits:367 Be the first to comment!

JONG CARIAGA MINDANAO CUP Este el un torneo que debe kita mira kay el team del Myiesha Jolo tiene 5 ex PBA athleta y el losdemas puru mga star players de [...] Read more

Climaco reiterates appeal to Customs: Stop smuggling

06 Jan 2018 Hits:957 Be the first to comment!

Mayor Beng Climaco has once again appealed to the Bureau of Customs to clean up Zamboanga City against smuggling, and it can only be done if the agency will deputize [...] Read more

Escapee recaptured in Isabela

06 Jan 2018 Hits:399 Be the first to comment!

An inmate who escaped last Tuesday night from his cell in Isbela City was recaptured by the Isabela City Police on Wednesday afternoon in one of the islands in Maluso, [...] Read more

Beng orders intensified drive vs illegal quarrying

06 Jan 2018 Hits:375 Be the first to comment!

Mayor Beng Climaco has ordered a renewed campaign against illegal quarrying activities as she cited the city’s firm advocacy on environmental protection. Mayor Climaco Thursday has directed City Police Director PSSupt. [...] Read more