Monday, 21 November 2011 11:40
Malacanang assured Saturday that government lawyers will handle the electoral case against former President and now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo very well to ensure that justice will be done.
“Our OSG [Office of the Solicitor General] will certainly do its best in all the cases that it represents government on,” Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said in a radio interview over government-run dzRB Radyo ng Bayan on Saturday.
“On the part of government, we will certainly be on the ball on making sure that this case -- in doing everything that we can to make sure that there is no delay on the part of the prosecution,” she said.
Valte said the Office of the Solicitor General will do everything for the successful prosecution of Mrs. Arroyo amid fears that government lawyers will be no match against brilliant lawyers such as Estelito Mendoza and Jose Flaminiano, who are the counsels of the Arroyos.
Issues were also raised about the competency of Pasay City Regional Trial Court Judge Jesus Mupas, the judge to try the former leader, as he has been previously sanctioned by the Supreme Court for delaying the cases he was handling.
Valte said they hope Judge Mupas has learned his lessons with regards to the SC sanction believing that he’ll handle the Arroyo case very well.
“We can always hope that he learned his lessons after that particular sanction,” she said adding that she believes the case assignment is fair because it was raffled.
The Aquino government said the arrest of Mrs. Arroyo is a welcome development and considered it as “a triumph of justice” in the country with government continuing its pursuit of the Arroyos for alleged abuses and excesses while they were in power.
A Pasay City court issued an arrest warrant against the former president for an electoral sabotage case effectively barring her from a scheduled departure abroad Friday afternoon.
In a media briefing in Malacanang on Friday, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said President Benigno Aquino III wanted Mrs. Arroyo treated with utmost respect being a former president of the country.
The government, she said, is open for a possible hospital or house arrest for the former president and will not insist on putting her in prison.
The court’s issuance of an arrest warrant Friday effectively made the temporary restraining order (TRO) issued earlier by the Supreme Court moot and academic, averting a possible constitutional crisis.
- 23/11/2011 11:16 - No SC TRO vs. joint DOJ-Comelec panel
- 23/11/2011 11:15 - Mindanao Week of Peace launched in Zamboanga City
- 23/11/2011 11:15 - RPMC IX conducts RME on KR2 project at Bayog
- 22/11/2011 00:00 - Palace lauds performance of Filipino athletes in 2011 Southeast Asian Games in Indonesia
- 22/11/2011 00:00 - Pacquiao returns home; explains performance vs. Marquez
- 21/11/2011 11:39 - Asianet: Next generation of American leaders identify China as a threat
- 21/11/2011 11:38 - 12,147 potential 4Ps beneficiaries in Pagadian to register on Nov. 21-24
- 20/11/2011 17:03 - DOH announces on-going recruitment of nurses and midwives
- 20/11/2011 17:02 - PhilRice plans establishing more demonstration rice gardens
- 18/11/2011 11:46 - Arroyo asks SC to issue cease and desist order vs. DOJ, BI