Tuesday, 22 November 2011 00:00
Filipino boxing superstar and Sarangani Rep. Manny ‘Pacman’ Pacquiao returned to Manila Monday morning from the successful defense of his World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title against Mexican arch-rival Juan Manuel Marquez last Nov. 12 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Fans and family members, including his four children, welcomed Pacquiao and his wife Jinkee upon their arrival on board a Philippine Airlines (PAL) jumbo jet at 9 a.m. at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).
As expected, members of the media asked Pacquiao about his highly-debated majority decision victory against Marquez.
Pacquiao explained he was distracted when he started to feel cramps on his left foot in the third round.
”It happens in a fight. You cannot get one-sided fight all the time,” Pacquiao said in his arrival press conference.
Pacquiao said that he was unaware that he lost his title as pound-for-pound fighter to undefeated American Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the Yahoo! Sports poll due to his narrow win against Marquez.
”I have no idea about the ranking. Perhaps those who voted were not Filipinos,” he said.
The Filipino boxing icon remains thankful to God and to his countrymen for their “unwavering support.”
From the airport, the Pacquiao entourage proceeded to the Midas Hotel in Pasay City, his official home for the next day or two, before going to Quiapo Church to attend a Mass.
Unlike in the previous fights, there was no motorcade given for Pacquiao on the day of his arrival, although his constituents in Sarangani province have prepared a hero’s welcome for him on Wednesday.
By Jelly F. Musico-PNA
- 23/11/2011 11:16 - Senate approves OPAPP’s 2012 budget
- 23/11/2011 11:16 - No SC TRO vs. joint DOJ-Comelec panel
- 23/11/2011 11:15 - Mindanao Week of Peace launched in Zamboanga City
- 23/11/2011 11:15 - RPMC IX conducts RME on KR2 project at Bayog
- 22/11/2011 00:00 - Palace lauds performance of Filipino athletes in 2011 Southeast Asian Games in Indonesia
- 21/11/2011 11:40 - Government lawyers aim for successful prosecution of Mrs Arroyo, Palace says
- 21/11/2011 11:39 - Asianet: Next generation of American leaders identify China as a threat
- 21/11/2011 11:38 - 12,147 potential 4Ps beneficiaries in Pagadian to register on Nov. 21-24
- 20/11/2011 17:03 - DOH announces on-going recruitment of nurses and midwives
- 20/11/2011 17:02 - PhilRice plans establishing more demonstration rice gardens