Friday, 25 November 2011 11:20
A lawmaker has filed a bill that seeks to rename Epifanio de los Santos Avenue (EDSA) to Cory Aquino Avenue in honor of the late former president.
EDSA is historic for being the site of the 1986 People Power Revolution that toppled the dictatorship of Ferdinand Marcos and paved the way for Aquino’s presidency.
“It would be but a fitting tribute to former President Corazon Aquino, woman of courage and valor, that EDSA, an avenue that became testament to the country’s love of democracy, be named after her,” said author Bohol Rep. Rene Relampagos in the explanatory note of House Bill 5422.
EDSA, the main circumferential road and highway of Manila, was formerly known as Highway 54, representing the 54-kilometer stretch of the avenue. It was then renamed for Filipino historian Epifanio delos Santos in 1959 through Republic Act 2140.
The bill, which is now currently pending before the House committee on public works and highways, seeks to repeal the republic act.
Relampagos also noted that EDSA should be renamed after the late president because one cannot think of the 1986 EDSA Revolution without thinking of Aquino.
However, the changing of the name of EDSA to Cory Aquino Avenue, which is now becoming popular to social networking sites, has irked a few Filipino netizens.
Twitter user dexterbibo said, “EDSA to Cory Aquino Avenue? para san? mababawasan ba ang traffic kung papalitan ng pangalan? ang dami pang dapat pagtuunan ng pansin #wagyan”
“We have Pres Noynoy Aquino. We have Ninoy Aquino Int’l Airport. Then EDSA to Cory Aquino Avenue? Oh my! Wait, Kris Aquino is everywhere!” user Mam_Charo said.
User superstarmarian, the fake account of Marian Rivera, also pointed out, "nakapangalan na kay ninoy ang worst erport, ipapangalan pa ke cory ang worst hiway wid d worst trapik?"
- 26/11/2011 10:10 - Outsourcing stems Philippines labour exodus
- 25/11/2011 11:22 - DA-9 welcomes new RED
- 25/11/2011 11:21 - Marcos hits Aquino's 'selective justice'
- 25/11/2011 11:21 - Business sector urges to curb corruption
- 25/11/2011 11:21 - Philippines' 18-year program vs climate change hailed
- 25/11/2011 11:18 - City’s Week of Peace Starts with Assurance a Pact with MILF Is Imminent
- 25/11/2011 11:18 - BI sets new guidelines on student visa
- 24/11/2011 11:57 - South Korean President lauds Aquino for ‘outstanding leadership’
- 24/11/2011 11:55 - Senate approves P1.816-trillion national budget for 2012
- 24/11/2011 11:54 - Joint foreign chambers laud both Houses of Congress for pushing Charter amendments