Saturday, 10 December 2011 00:00
Christmas break in public schools will start December 21 and end January 3, 2012 to give students and teachers a time to enjoy and reflect the holiday season.
The announcement was made by Department of Education Secretary Armin Luistro, at the same time reminding schools to observe austerity in their respective Christmas parties.
Luistro, in a DepEd Order No. 114 issued on Nov. 20, 2009, reminded that school officials were instructed to celebrate Christmas through "simple but meaningful activities."
He said that holding a lavish and compulsory holiday celebration is unnecessary in the wake of economic problems and onslaught of destructive cyclones.
In the order, Luistro reiterated that: contributions for celebrations in schools or offices, whether in cash or kind, should be strictly voluntary; decorations should be simple, inexpensive and to the extent possible, produced by students and staffers.
He also stressed that gift-giving should be guided by the spirit of sharing and should not lead to extravagant spending; schools or offices that decide to forego Christmas parties should consider donating the savings to relief assistance for families still reeling from the destruction caused by recent calamities and disruption of academic activities in schools and delivery of Departmental services should be minimized.
- 12/12/2011 12:33 - ProGay hits back at Catholic bishops on Anti-Discrimination Bill
- 12/12/2011 12:32 - Tragedy strikes Parañaque shanties?
- 11/12/2011 00:00 - Aquino steps up attack on Philippine Supreme Court
- 11/12/2011 00:00 - Holiday break starts Dec. 21 for public schools
- 11/12/2011 00:00 - In the 8th Paskuhan festival in Pagadian kicks off
- 10/12/2011 00:00 - Dec. 26, Jan. 2 not holidays
- 10/12/2011 00:00 - Notice of brief power interruption (NGCP)
- 09/12/2011 11:14 - Coloma urges civil servants to prioritize efficient and quality service to Filipinos
- 09/12/2011 11:13 - Dureza Cup National Shootfest underway
- 09/12/2011 11:12 - NEDA IX facilitates the conduct of RIO+20 Regional Consultation