Thursday, 15 December 2011 11:49
Malacanang congratulated Filipino-American midwife Robin Lim who was named the 2011 CNN Hero of the Year, a Palace official said on Monday.
"We are very happy that the effort of one of our Filipinos has again been recognized on the international stage," Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte said during the regular press briefing in Malacanang on Monday.
Through her Yayasan Bumi Sehat health clinics, Lim offers free prenatal care, birthing services and medical aid in Indonesia, where many families cannot afford care, according to the CNN report.
"Every baby's first breath on Earth could be one of peace and love. Every mother should be healthy and strong. Every birth could be safe and loving. But our world is not there yet," Lim said during the "CNN Heroes: An All-Star Tribute," at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles on Sunday night (US Time).
The reports said "Mother Robin," or "Ibu Robin" as she is called by the locals, was chosen by the public after an 11-week vote on CNN.com.
For being named Hero of the Year, Lim will receive 250,000 dollars for her cause.
"That's in addition to the 50,000 dollars that she and the rest of the top 10 Heroes each received for making the top 10," the CNN.com said.
This is the fifth year that CNN, with the help of entertainers and other celebrities, have honored everyday people changing the world.
Filipino Efren Penaflorida Jr., a teacher and social worker, was named 2009 CNN Hero of the Year.
- 17/12/2011 00:00 - House elects 10 lawmakers in impeachment prosecution team
- 17/12/2011 00:00 - Malacanang welcomes Labor Force Survey showing decline of unemployment rate in the country
- 15/12/2011 11:50 - Aquino says he is not disrupting country’s democracy in supporting articles of impeachment vs. Corona
- 15/12/2011 11:50 - Cayetano: Impeachment trial should not affect passage of RH bill
- 15/12/2011 11:49 - CEB breaks another record for November with 1M passengers
- 15/12/2011 11:48 - IMF lowers PHL growth forecast, raises need for higher public spending in ’12
- 14/12/2011 11:11 - Kiko urges courts to release coco levy fund back to farmers
- 14/12/2011 11:11 - Sen. Santiago tops election for ICC judges
- 13/12/2011 11:03 - Senators ready to act accordingly if impeachment vs CJ reaches Senate
- 13/12/2011 11:02 - Cotabato wants to become smoke-free city