Saturday, 17 December 2011 00:00
Members of the House of Representatives on Wednesday evening elected 10 congressmen who will act as prosecutors in the impeachment trial of Supreme Court Chief Justice Renato Corona.
They are Representatives Niel Tupas Jr. (Iloilo), Lorenzo Tanada III (Quezon), Elpidio Barzaga Jr. (Cavite), Rodolfo Farinas (Ilocos Norte), Giorgidi Aggabao (Isabela), Kaka Bag-ao (Akbayan party-list), Neri Colmenares (Bayan Muna party-list), Reynaldo Umali (Mindoro Oriental), Raul Daza (Northern Samar), and Joseph Emilio Abaya (Cavite).
Aurora Rep. Juan Edgardo Angara and CIBAC party-list Rep. Sherwin Tugna were added as alternate prosecutors.
Marikina City Rep. Romero Federico Quimbo will act as spokesman of the panel.
Meanwhile, the Lower Chamber also appointed a new chairman of the committee on ways and means formerly headed by Batangas Rep. Hermilando Mandanas.
Reports said Mandanas was stripped of his chairmanship after he refused to sign the resolution calling for the impeachment of Supreme Court Chief Justice Renato Corona.
Speaker Feliciano Belmonte, however, denied that the removal of Mandanas from being chairman of the powerful ways and means committee had something to do with the latter's refusal to sign the impeachment complaint against the SC chief justice.
"That was a decision made before the impeachment. Bad timing lang," Belmonte said in a text message.
When asked why Mandanas was stripped of his chairmanship, the Speaker said, "Different perspectives lang."
Davao City Rep. Isidro Ungab will replace Mandanas, according to Majority Leader and Mandaluyong City Rep. Neptali Gonzales II.
By Lilybeth G. Ison/PIA9-ZBST
- 19/12/2011 12:01 - Palace upbeat about Standard & Poor's upgrading of country's financial system
- 19/12/2011 12:00 - Aquino wants review of govt crisis response after devastating Mindanao typhoon
- 17/12/2011 00:00 - Aquino assures safety of democracy and sacredness of the individuality of the branches of government
- 17/12/2011 00:00 - 2012 National Budget earliest to be signed since 1986
- 17/12/2011 00:00 - Aquino declares 18-day suspension of military operations with communist rebels
- 17/12/2011 00:00 - Malacanang welcomes Labor Force Survey showing decline of unemployment rate in the country
- 15/12/2011 11:50 - Aquino says he is not disrupting country’s democracy in supporting articles of impeachment vs. Corona
- 15/12/2011 11:50 - Cayetano: Impeachment trial should not affect passage of RH bill
- 15/12/2011 11:49 - CEB breaks another record for November with 1M passengers
- 15/12/2011 11:49 - Malacañang congratulates Filipino-American for bagging 2011 CNN Hero of the Year