Monday, 19 December 2011 12:00
President Benigno Aquino III wants a review of the government’s disaster response manual to prevent unnecessary loss of lives in the aftermath of the devastation of Typhoon Sendong in Mindanao.
The president was briefed by several government agencies in Camp Aguinaldo on Saturday regarding their response to the devastation brought about by Typhoon Sendong, which left more than a hundred people dead and hundreds still missing.
The chief executive also wants a more accurate and effective typhoon tracking system so that communities along typhoon path could have enough time to prepare before such disturbance hits.
Areas vulnerable to flash floods must be identified for the government to issue immediate warnings during heavy downpours and typhoons, the President said.
At the same time, the President instructed concerned government agencies to do necessary preparations and brace for the entry of Typhoon Sendong in Palawan, the next place expected to be hit by the typhoon based on recent forecasts.
During the briefing with the President, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said that the death toll could be 130 as of Saturday noon. This figure may continue to rise, it said.
At least 260 people are missing, all of them from Iligan City, according to the NDRRMC.
In its report to the President, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) said it is sheltering hundreds of people in Cagayan de Oro City, Iligan City and other areas. It has so far distributed food packs Saturday morning which could last for three days. It is planning to distribute more food packs.
With regards to the current search and rescue efforts, police and military officials told the President about the need for more rubber boats for their missions. They said rescue efforts as well as salvaging dead bodies will continue once the weather improves.
- 19/12/2011 12:03 - DPWH IX celebrates 39th year of public service
- 19/12/2011 12:03 - DSWD prepositions P 67.86M worth of assistance for 'Sendong' victims
- 19/12/2011 12:02 - Greenpeace backs Senate initiative on pollution disclosure
- 19/12/2011 12:01 - GSIS releases P818-million Cash dividends to members
- 19/12/2011 12:01 - Palace upbeat about Standard & Poor's upgrading of country's financial system
- 17/12/2011 00:00 - Aquino assures safety of democracy and sacredness of the individuality of the branches of government
- 17/12/2011 00:00 - 2012 National Budget earliest to be signed since 1986
- 17/12/2011 00:00 - Aquino declares 18-day suspension of military operations with communist rebels
- 17/12/2011 00:00 - House elects 10 lawmakers in impeachment prosecution team
- 17/12/2011 00:00 - Malacanang welcomes Labor Force Survey showing decline of unemployment rate in the country