Tuesday, 20 December 2011 10:45
Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo Monday directed all chiefs of bureaus and offices under him to launch a nationwide voluntary fund-raising campaign from their subordinates to provide relief and support funds to the storm-ravaged areas in Mindanao.
Robredo also asked the Union of Local Authorities of the Philippines (ULAP) headed by Gov. Aurelio Umali of Mindoro Oriental province and the leaders of other allied local government leagues outside of the typhoon-struck Northern Mindanao (Region X) to conduct a similar campaign.
The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) chief said that in the spirit of Christmas and the fact that all DILG employees have just received their 13th-month pay and Christmas bonus, all of them should lend a helping hand by making voluntary contributions to help alleviate the sad plight of the people in the Sendong-hit areas of Mindanao, particularly the cities of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan.
“Since they have just received their 13th month pay and Christmas bonus, I think a voluntary contribution of P100 from each of them won’t be too much. I assure them that the funds that would be raised would all be brought to LGUs [local government units] in Mindanao where they are needed most,” he added.
The Philippine National Police (PNP) has a total regular manpower of 143,000; the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP), 10,000; the DILG central and regional offices, 5,000; and the National Police Commission (Napolcom), 2,000
Eighty governors, 80 vice governors, 1,498 municipal mayors, 120 city mayors, 1,631 vice mayors, 16,718 councilors, 41,995 barangay (village) captains; and 335,960 Sangguniang Kabataan (Youth Council) are members of ULAP.
- 20/12/2011 10:49 - PHL-China trade posts 32% growth in first 10 months of 2011
- 20/12/2011 10:48 - North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, 69, has died
- 20/12/2011 10:47 - Lacson: Oust JPE move pure hogwash
- 20/12/2011 10:46 - Use of same rice variety in PHL farmlands decreases yields - PhilRice
- 20/12/2011 10:45 - Tawi-Tawi hosts Cinematography workshop
- 19/12/2011 12:05 - New AFPMC chief stresses importance of prime health care for soldiers
- 19/12/2011 12:04 - Gov. Adiong signs into law ARMM administrative code
- 19/12/2011 12:04 - Dell PHL gets ISO 9001:2008 certification
- 19/12/2011 12:03 - DPWH IX celebrates 39th year of public service
- 19/12/2011 12:03 - DSWD prepositions P 67.86M worth of assistance for 'Sendong' victims