Wednesday, 04 January 2012 13:14
Stiff action will be meted against policemen who maybe found guilty of firing their guns to celebrate the New Year and the penalty is dismissal from the service within three months after a thorough investigation.
Director General Nicanor A. Bartolome, chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP), made this statement during an interview over radio station DZRH on New Year’s Day.
Bartolome vowed that he will never tolerate abusive policemen found violating his order not to fire their guns to celebrate the New Year.
He said he has a standing order to fast-track the investigation in this regard. It may be recalled that Bartolome issued a stern warning on indiscriminate and illegal discharge of firearms by government and civilian gun holders.
The 140,000-strong police force put their guns on “silent mode” before and after Christmas and New Year celebrations by taping their service firearms. This is done yearly to send a strong message to policemen, soldiers and gun owners not to fire their guns to avoid injuries.
Aside from the administrative case, policemen who fired their guns on Christmas Day and New Year would also be charged criminally if someone is killed or wounded. In the case of civilian gun holders, Bartolome said their license to own a gun will be revoked and will be perpetually disqualified from holding a firearm.
- 04/01/2012 13:18 - AFP's 18-day unilateral ceasefire ends
- 04/01/2012 13:16 - Evacuation centers in Cagayan de Oro, Iligan down to 45
- 04/01/2012 13:15 - House prosecution panel replies to impeachment raps vs SC chief justice
- 04/01/2012 13:15 - PhilHealth, LPG-MA to subsidize health care premiums
- 04/01/2012 13:14 - PhilRice developing disease resistant Golden Rice variety
- 04/01/2012 13:13 - Solons bat for creation of an independent, unimpeachable body vs corruption
- 03/01/2012 13:44 - OPAPP, ARMM provinces ink MOA for PAMANA
- 28/12/2011 11:53 - ARMM OIC Gov can bring more dramatic changes - Sec. Robredo
- 28/12/2011 11:52 - DENR eyes 'cradle-to-grave' liability for illegally dumped waste
- 28/12/2011 11:51 - Lamitan city adjudged one of best performing LGUs in ARMM