Wednesday, 04 January 2012 13:16
The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) said that only 45 of 61 evacuation centers remain open in Cagayan de Oro and Iligan cities as displaced families, who still have safe homes to go back, have started returning home.
DSWD Secretary Corazon Juliano Soliman said that more families staying in schools in Cagayan de Oro were expected to be transferred to shelter boxes and tents temporarily set up in relocation sites within the week.
The installation of the 408 tents donated by the United Kingdom that can house 816 families is ongoing, in coordination with the Rotary International. One tent has ventilation and can withstand 120-kilometer per hour wind velocity.
“We have sought the help of the Department of Health in the provision of latrines and other basic facilities, to be built thru food-for-work, in the temporary relocation sites. As soon as these are built, we shall begin transferring evacuees. We hope to start moving them by January 3,” Soliman said.
Moreover, DSWD, thru the 502nd Engineering Brigade of the Armed Forces of the Philippines will build bunk houses for 120 families in Lumbia, Cagayan de Oro City. The International Organization for Migration (IOM), meanwhile, has committed to build bunk houses for 230 families within the same site.
- 06/01/2012 13:03 - Malacanang says DOE is forming a team to scrutinize oil companies
- 06/01/2012 12:58 - ZamboSur records ‘zero’ indiscriminate firing during Christmas and New Year celebration
- 06/01/2012 12:58 - Donations for 'Sendong' victims reaches US$ 19.27M
- 06/01/2012 12:57 - PHL ripe for a credit rating upgrade - BSP
- 04/01/2012 13:18 - AFP's 18-day unilateral ceasefire ends
- 04/01/2012 13:15 - House prosecution panel replies to impeachment raps vs SC chief justice
- 04/01/2012 13:15 - PhilHealth, LPG-MA to subsidize health care premiums
- 04/01/2012 13:14 - PhilRice developing disease resistant Golden Rice variety
- 04/01/2012 13:14 - Erring policemen face dismissal in 3 months – Bartolome
- 04/01/2012 13:13 - Solons bat for creation of an independent, unimpeachable body vs corruption