Wednesday, 11 January 2012 12:16
Acting Regional Governor Mujib Hataman of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) on Monday extended the region's respect for the celebration of the Feast of the Black Nazarene.
It is the first time since its creation 22 years ago that the regional government, a predominantly Muslim dominated bureaucracy, paid tribute to a strictly Catholic religious event.
Hataman, an ethnic Yakan, said in a statement that under his administration, it is important for Muslim and Christian communities to respect each other’s religious differences as a way of preserving national heritage and a long-time history of Muslim-Christian co-existence in the country.
“We join our Christian brothers and sisters in Metro Manila in their celebration of the Feast of the Black Nazarene,” Hataman said.
Hataman, who assumed as OIC of the autonomous region last December 22, said he is ready to tap qualified Christians to help him introduce reforms in the regional bureaucracy.
Hataman vowed to continuously created bridges with other faiths in the five provinces of the region to ensure that the reforms President Benigno Aquino III has ordered will be fully implemented.
ARMM is composed of the provinces of Maguindanao, Lanao del Sur, Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi.
- 12/01/2012 11:41 - Police exec says no terror threats in Cebu for Sinulog
- 12/01/2012 11:41 - Bizmen seek lifting of open-pit mining ban in Zambo Norte
- 10/01/2012 00:00 - Balikatan soldiers came back to play wih St Francis House kids
- 11/01/2012 12:18 - Mindanao cancer center inaugurated
- 11/01/2012 12:17 - Gov’t adds P13.4B to accelerated spending program budget
- 11/01/2012 12:16 - Aquino welcomes international logistics group's plan to invest $500-million
- 11/01/2012 12:15 - Gov assures Zambo Norte's preparedness for any calamity
- 11/01/2012 12:14 - AFP Chief of Staff Dellosa tells army troops not to be affected by political issues
- 10/01/2012 12:32 - Forestland Boundary Assessment and Delineation completed in Region IX
- 10/01/2012 12:23 - DENR-IX attains 100% accomplishment for NGP