Thursday, 12 January 2012 11:41
Businessmen from the Mindanao chapter of the Philippine Chamber of Commerce Inc. (PCCI) called for a repeal of a provincial ordinance issued by Zamboanga del Norte which banned open-pit mining in the province.
PCCI explained that the provincial ordinance contravene the national mining policy as embodied by Republic Act 7942, or the Philippine Mining Act of 1995.
“Aside from contradicting national policy, the local ordinance undermines the effort of revitalizing the industrialization of our country—a key economic fundamental being pushed by the national business Chamber,” said PCCI in a joint statement.
The joint statement was signed by Michael M. Malacca, president of the Dipolog Chamber of Commerce and Industry; Edgar M. Bagarinao, regional governor of PCCI Western Mindanao; and Edwin B. Capili, area vice president of PCCI Mindanao. “The imposition of inconsistent policies and rules is never good for business as it provides a very unstable ground for business growth. Such volatility will scare away investors from our country,” the statement read.
The group noted the mining industry acts as a catalyst for the development of mining communities which are mostly in far-flung, remote areas.
“It induces greater economic, social and cultural development. It increases revenues thereby helping the local government units provide services to their constituencies at the barangay, municipal and provincial levels,” the statement read.
Canadian mining firm TVI Resource Development ( Philippines ) Inc. (Tvird) said it welcomes the call made by the Mindanao chapter of PCCI to repeal the provincial ordinance which effectively bans open-pit mining in Zamboanga del Norte.
- 12/01/2012 11:45 - Senators welcome DOT’s new int'l slogan
- 12/01/2012 11:44 - Zambo Norte to construct additional bio-fertilizer mixing plants
- 12/01/2012 11:43 - Party-list solon files motion for reconsideration on NBN-ZTE case
- 12/01/2012 11:42 - Regatta 2012 set Jan. 13-14
- 12/01/2012 11:41 - Police exec says no terror threats in Cebu for Sinulog
- 10/01/2012 00:00 - Balikatan soldiers came back to play wih St Francis House kids
- 11/01/2012 12:18 - Mindanao cancer center inaugurated
- 11/01/2012 12:17 - Gov’t adds P13.4B to accelerated spending program budget
- 11/01/2012 12:16 - ARMM acting gov extends respect to Black Nazarene
- 11/01/2012 12:16 - Aquino welcomes international logistics group's plan to invest $500-million