Saturday, 14 January 2012 00:00
The 58th complaint for murder was filed on Thursday before the Department of Justice (DOJ) against former Maguindanao Gov. Andal Ampatuan, Sr., his son former Datu Unsay, Maguindanao Mayor Andal Ampatuan, Jr. and over a hundred others accused in the Maguindanao massacre case.
The other accused are former Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) Gov. Zaldy Ampatuan, former Acting Maguindanao Gov. Sajid Ampatuan, Akmad Ampatuan, Anwar Ampatuan, and 196 others.
It was earlier alleged that the massacre claimed the lives of 57 civilians, including 15 women and 30 media practitioners in Ampatuan town, Maguindanao on Nov. 23, 2009.
Only 57 counts for murder are now being tried by Quezon City Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 221 Presiding Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes.
In a complaint-affidavit filed by Ma. Reynafe Momay-Castillo, she said that a case for murder should have been filed for the death of her father Reynaldo Geneblaza Momay, a photojournalist for the Tacurong City-based Midland Review even if his body has yet to be recovered.
Castillo said that only the dentures of her father were recovered.
The dentures, she said, was identified by the herbalist who made it “because he made these dentures and placed special marks on them” to identify that it was he who made it.
Atty. Gilbert Andres, the legal counsel of Castillo, said that the Philippine National Police (PNP) has already submitted their referral before the DOJ last year.
“We opted to file our complaint to remind the DOJ that there is still another victim whose case is not among those being tried in court,” Andres told reporters in an ambush interview.
Andres said that it was not only the dentures but they have witnesses who can say that he was part of the convoy of the wife of Maguindanao Gov. Esmael “Toto” Mangudadatu that were ambushed and killed by armed men on Nov. 23, 2009..
“Authorities earlier reported that a total of 57 human remains have been recovered from the site and of these, only three have remained unidentified. Of the three human remains, two have a full set of teeth while the third has full upper and lower dentures,” Castillo said in her complaint-affidavit.
“This, (Peruvian forensic expert Dr. Jose Pablo) Baraybar said that at least another body is missing, bringing the fatalities in the slaughter of innocents to at least 58,” Castillo said.
By Perfecto T. Raymundo Jr.
- 20/01/2012 09:59 - Purisima: People behind WB loan blunder should be penalized
- 20/01/2012 09:58 - House prosecution says Corona's SALNs support allegation of ill-gotten wealth
- 18/01/2012 12:10 - AFP assures continuing change in leadership
- 18/01/2012 12:09 - Cuevas: Chief Justice Corona need not file a leave of absence
- 18/01/2012 12:09 - House prosecutors: Corona unfit to remain as SC chief justice
- 14/01/2012 00:00 - Angara urges DepEd to improve teacher training to ensure success of K-12 program
- 14/01/2012 00:00 - Aquino urges Filipinos to help promote use of renewable energy
- 14/01/2012 00:00 - DTI to revive Philtrade, garment industry
- 14/01/2012 00:00 - Aquino says no need to lobby against US bill targeting BPO operations
- 14/01/2012 00:00 - P-Noy's NGP gains solid grounds in Zamboanga Peninsula