Saturday, 21 January 2012 00:00
The Department of Social Welfare and Development Field Office IX assisted eighty illegally-recruited victims in just one week after 3 batches of male victims sought shelter at its Processing Center for Displaced Persons (PCDP).
As of press time, sixty-two males mostly from Bohol and Lapu-lapu City are presently housed at PCDP while awaiting case developments after being intercepted by the Port Police last January 11.
Social workers learned that a certain resident from Bonggao personally went to Bohol to fetch the fishermen. They were promised good wages for deep sea fishing with free accommodation and food. Accordingly, the group consists of 3 teams which will be sent out to Languyan, Sitangkai and Bongao. Said employer contracted them for 4 months.
The Zamboanga City Port Police became suspicious of the group after noticing that only one person purchased their tickets and thus invited two from the group in their office for inquiry. DSWD with partner agencies Philippine Center for Transnational Crime (PCTC) and Visayan Forum immediately proceeded to the port to look into the proper interventions.
The Sea-Based Anti-Trafficking Task Force (SBATTF), an inter-agency committee with the following as key members - DSWD, PCTC, DOLE, VF, Dept. of Justice, Port Police and PPA have started the series of case conferences tackling the matter for possible violation of labor policies.
Meanwhile, DSWD continually provides basic and psychosocial services to those housed at PCDP while awaiting developments from the case.
- 23/01/2012 14:15 - US vows wider access for Philippine bananas
- 23/01/2012 14:15 - DA eyes more biological pest control for crops
- 23/01/2012 14:14 - Enrile expects prosecution to finish presentation of evidence in one month
- 23/01/2012 14:13 - Lawyer threatens to sue senators for abandoning Gutierrez's impeachment trial
- 23/01/2012 14:13 - Aquino receives more than a billion US dollars government shares from Malampaya Gas-to-Power Project
- 21/01/2012 00:00 - Enrile calls 'birth pains' first week of impeachment trial
- 21/01/2012 00:00 - Miners blast link to ‘Sendong’ tragedy
- 21/01/2012 00:00 - Plan to recalculate universal time postponed: ITU
- 21/01/2012 00:00 - Youth Solidarity for Peace commits for Volunteers Charter for Peace
- 20/01/2012 10:00 - UN: European debt crisis, high unemployment threatens global economy