Tuesday, 24 January 2012 11:29
The Army's 103rd Infantry Brigade commander, Col. Daniel Lucero, who also heads The Task Force Ranao, said Sunday that they have so far filed two cases of illegal logging against groups of individuals allegedly responsible in denuding the mountains in Lanao del Sur area.
The task force was reactivated to combat all forms of criminality, including illegal logging, in Lanao.
Lucero said one of the two cases was filed against a group of individuals based in Tamparan, a 5th class municipality in Lanao del Sur province, and the other was against a group based in Marawi City, the province' capital.
Lucero disclosed that about 20 cases are still to be filed against groups of individuals involved in illegal logging in Lanao del Sur.
Lucero hinted that some of those involved in illegal cutting of trees are government officials, including barangay officials.
“They will be charged for illegal logging,” he added.
He disclosed that they have confiscated 52,357.9 board feet of illegally cut logs since the time they launched a campaign against illegal loggers in Lanao del Sur earlier this month.
“These cut logs could cover a land area of 19.5 hectares if planted four meters apart,” he said.
The task force also shut down seven sawmills in the municipality of Kapai, Lanao del Sur.
The denuded forest of Lanao del Sur is blamed to be the cause of the recent floods triggered by tropical storm "Sendong" that hit the cities of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan.
- 24/01/2012 11:33 - US vows wider access for Philippine bananas
- 24/01/2012 11:32 - DA eyes more biological pest control for crops
- 24/01/2012 11:32 - DAR holds national assessment and planning conference
- 24/01/2012 11:31 - DSWD to administer social welfare indicator to 4Ps beneficiaries
- 24/01/2012 11:30 - Enrile expects prosecution to finish presentation of evidence in one month
- 24/01/2012 11:28 - Lawyer threatens to sue senators for abandoning Gutierrez's impeachment trial
- 24/01/2012 11:27 - Aquino receives more than a billion US dollars government shares from Malampaya Gas-to-Power Project
- 24/01/2012 11:26 - Movement 188 says Corona camp in 'panic mode'
- 24/01/2012 11:25 - Gov’t assisting to resolve 'rido' clan feud in North Cotabato
- 24/01/2012 11:23 - “Shelter-Build” set to start in Iligan on January 25