Monday, 20 September 2010 11:51
Police in London made arrests on Friday as they moved to break up an alleged terrorist attack on Pope Benedict XVI, who is on a state visit to Britain.
A total of five men were arrested on the early morning of Friday, and a sixth was arrested at lunchtime.
The Metropolitan Police said in a statement: "At approximately 5:45 a.m., 17 September five men were arrested by officers from the Counter Terrorism Command on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism."
Searches were carried out at a business premises in central London and residential premises in north and east London. However, police said that "initial searches have not uncovered any hazardous items."
A police spokesman told Xinhua that it was unclear at this stage if any further arrests would be made or if any charges would be pressed.
He said that the sixth man had been arrested under the Terrorism Act at a home in north London and that he was being questioned by detectives at a police station in central London.
The police spokesman added, "Following today's arrests the policing arrangements for the Papal visit were reviewed and we are satisfied that our current policing plan remains appropriate. The itinerary has not changed." (PNA/Xinhua)
- 21/09/2010 12:22 - All that Glitters!
- 20/09/2010 11:55 - The Pope's visit to the UK
- 20/09/2010 11:54 - Saving the ozone layer
- 20/09/2010 11:53 - 7 tricks to a speedier metabolism
- 20/09/2010 11:52 - Halley's Comet, Jupiter, and Space Tourism
- 20/09/2010 11:50 - Pres. Aquino assures ideal business environment for investors
- 20/09/2010 11:49 - FDA finds several imported cosmetic products unsafe