Wednesday, 25 January 2012 12:28
The Senate formally presented on Tuesday its adopted resolution commending Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago for topping the election as judge in the highly powerful International Criminal Court.
Joined by all senators present in front of the Senate Session Hall Tuesday morning, Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile handed the adopted Senate Resolution No. 74 to Santiago who had just returned from sick leave.
”We are giving to you, honorable senator of this nation and judge of the International Criminal Court, this commendation. We are congratulating you. I hope you will continue your excellent performance here in the Senate and there is no doubt that you can do it: Show the talent of a Filipino,” Enrile said in his short message.
Senate President Pro-Tempore Jinggoy Estrada authored the resolution.
Santiago, considered as one of the best law experts in the country, was elected as a judge in the ICC during the 10th session of the Assembly of States Parties in New York last December 13.
The election of Santiago marked the first time a Filipino has been elected to the ICC and also the first time for a female judge from a developing Asian country.
Santiago has a nine-year term as ICC judge, meaning she would have to give up her post as a member of the Philippine Senate. She got fresh six-year mandate as senator in the May 2010 elections.
The lady senator is set to take her oath of office in March along with six other new ICC judges, giving her more time to sit as senator-judge in the impeachment trial of Supreme Court Chief Justice Renato Corona in the Senate.
- 25/01/2012 12:31 - Philippine Army unveils transformation roadmap
- 25/01/2012 12:30 - DOJ: Dismissed NBI director given 'due process'
- 25/01/2012 12:30 - Aquino, declares January of every year as ‘Philippine Tropical Fabrics Month’
- 25/01/2012 12:29 - SRPI outreach missions net 4,772 patients
- 25/01/2012 12:28 - Paje urges more international action on marine environment protection
- 25/01/2012 12:27 - Malacanang says Aquino gov't committed to rationalize sin taxes
- 25/01/2012 12:27 - New Wesmincom chief intensifies IPSP implementation
- 24/01/2012 11:34 - Malacanang announces new appoinments
- 24/01/2012 11:33 - US vows wider access for Philippine bananas
- 24/01/2012 11:32 - DA eyes more biological pest control for crops