Wednesday, 25 January 2012 12:30
President Benigno S. Aquino III has declared the month of January of every year as “Philippine Tropical Fabrics Month.”
In Proclamation No. 313 signed by Executive Secretary Paquito N. Ochoa Jr. on January 12, 2012, President Aquino issued the declaration to promote public awareness and use of indigenous textiles in the country.
Under Republic Act 9242 otherwise known as the Philippine Tropical Fabrics Law of 2004, tropical fabrics are defined as those containing natural fibers produced, spun, woven or knitted, and finished in the Philippines. These fabrics are used mostly for the uniforms of government officials and employees.
"The implementation of RA No. 9242 shall raise awareness on the utilization of natural fibers like pineapple, banana, abaca and Philippine silk for textile and allied products and bring about the revival and upgrading of the local textile and garments industries, thus redounding to the creation of livelihood in the agricultural and industrial sectors," the President said.
The Chief Executive noted that Proclamation No. 86 (s. 2010) declared January 24, 2011 as “Philippine Tropical Fabrics Day” under the auspices of the Philippine Textile Research institute (PTRI) of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) which increased interest on tropical fabrics from among the local industries.
In issuing Proclamation No. 313, the President cited "the need to sustain the gains from the celebration of the first Philippine Tropical Fabrics Day and to engage a more active participation of government institutions and local industries on the use of Philippine Tropical Fabrics, as well as local natural fibers."
President Aquino, directed the PTRI-DOST to source funds to defray the cost of the celebration.
He also ordered the PTRI-DOST to ensure that extensive research on the judicious utilization of local natural fibers be continued.
“All fabric producers, textile manufacturers, garments and geotextile industries, including the private sector, associations, institutions and the academe, are hereby enjoined to actively participate in the proper observance of the “Philippine Tropical Fabrics Month” and to partner with the government in bringing about an evolution of the Philippine textile industry as an emerging leader in the global textile market," President Aquino said.
- 26/01/2012 10:13 - Peace education pushed in Mindanao
- 26/01/2012 10:12 - Science Research Seminar-Workshop held
- 25/01/2012 12:32 - Abalos family hopes to get favorable decision on bail petition
- 25/01/2012 12:31 - Philippine Army unveils transformation roadmap
- 25/01/2012 12:30 - DOJ: Dismissed NBI director given 'due process'
- 25/01/2012 12:29 - SRPI outreach missions net 4,772 patients
- 25/01/2012 12:28 - Paje urges more international action on marine environment protection
- 25/01/2012 12:28 - Senate commends Sen. Santiago for her election as ICC judge
- 25/01/2012 12:27 - Malacanang says Aquino gov't committed to rationalize sin taxes
- 25/01/2012 12:27 - New Wesmincom chief intensifies IPSP implementation