Wednesday, 25 January 2012 12:32
The family of former Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Benjamin Abalos Sr. is hoping the Pasay City Regional Trial Court Branch 112 will give a favorable decision in connection with his petition to allow him to post bail.
This is the sentiment of the Abalos family members as the former Comelec chair reportedly does not want to file a petition for hospital arrest.
Even the lawyer of Abalos in the electoral sabotage charges against him, Atty. Brigido Dulay, admitted that his client does not want to file a petition for hospital arrest even if his health condition continues to deteriorate.
Abalos is at present incarcerated at the headquarters of the Southern Police District (SPD) in Taguig City.
Earlier, Mrs. Cora Abalos said her husband is not used to being confined to a hospital because he has been very active to do exercises, like walking in their farm in Zambales and playing golf.
Abalos had complained of chest pains several times while being held at the Anti-Criminality Unit of SPD after he was arrested in December 2011, thus his family decided to put on standby an oxygen tank inside his jail.
Abalos' son, Mandaluyong City Mayor Benhur Abalos had earlier confirmed that his father has weak lungs and has just recently recovered from his chronic pulmonary disease.
The former Comelec chair and three others have been charged with electoral sabotage in connection with the alleged cheating in the 2007 election in South Cotabato which he vehemently denied.
At present, the leadership of SPD under Chief Supt. Jose Arne delos Santos has allowed Abalos to jog for one hour inside the compound so he could enjoy the early sun and have some physical exercise.
- 31/01/2012 10:37 - PHL GDP expands
- 31/01/2012 10:37 - 2012 World Wetlands Day Celebration
- 26/01/2012 10:13 - ARMM Gov appoints new agriculture chief from Tawi-Tawi
- 26/01/2012 10:13 - Peace education pushed in Mindanao
- 26/01/2012 10:12 - Science Research Seminar-Workshop held
- 25/01/2012 12:31 - Philippine Army unveils transformation roadmap
- 25/01/2012 12:30 - DOJ: Dismissed NBI director given 'due process'
- 25/01/2012 12:30 - Aquino, declares January of every year as ‘Philippine Tropical Fabrics Month’
- 25/01/2012 12:29 - SRPI outreach missions net 4,772 patients
- 25/01/2012 12:28 - Paje urges more international action on marine environment protection