Wednesday, 01 February 2012 13:47
The Department of Public Works and Highways has allotted P10.8 billion or 11 percent of its 2012 budget of P99.4 billion.
DPWH Secretary Rogelio Singson said the amount would go to flood control works. He said water catchments and impounding structures upstream of major rivers would be prioritized.
He added that rehabilitation of flood-damaged structures will also be given priority in highly urbanized areas.
Among the identified major flood control projects for implementation this year include the Pampanga Delta & Pampanga River projects; Laoag River Basin and Sabo Project; Bicol River Basin and Watershed Project; Mindanao River Basins; Mandaluyong City drainage improvement project; Cagayan de Oro River Basin; Pasig-Marikina River Channel Improvement Project (PMRCIP), Phase II; Mt. Pinatubo Hazard Urgent Mitigation Project, Phase III; San Roque Multi-Purpose Project, Flood Control Component; and drainage protection works along national roads and bridges nationwide.
"For this year, we will continue prioritizing flood control projects in major and principal river basins based on completed master plans," said Singson.
“We will also continue the promotion of innovative technologies such as geotextiles and coco-netting in slope protection and soil erosion control; promotion of rainwater harvesting and retarding basins; and support other agencies’ efforts in non-structural measures such as hazard mapping of the DENR, flood monitoring and forecasting of DOST/PAGASA, and relocation of informal settlers living along river ways and esteros,” he said.
The department is also closely coordinating its water convergence program and management of the river systems with the Department of Agriculture (DA), Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) and this concerns the management of the river systems.
- 02/02/2012 00:00 - ‘Elevate public discourse, empower people’, Coloma tells communicators
- 02/02/2012 00:00 - 1st Lantawan Youth Assembly held in Isabela City
- 02/02/2012 00:00 - Basilan Mufti reminds Muslim couples on birth spacing
- 02/02/2012 00:00 - Displaced families in Central Mindanao rebuild lives through PAMANA
- 02/02/2012 00:00 - Saudi Health Ministry to employ more Filipinos
- 01/02/2012 13:46 - DTI, DA to establish product traceability system for global competitiveness
- 01/02/2012 13:45 - Aquino leads Galing Pook 2011 Awards in Malacañang
- 01/02/2012 13:44 - PHL GDP expands by 3.7% in 2011
- 01/02/2012 13:43 - Gingrich sued over use of "Rocky III" theme song
- 01/02/2012 13:42 - NEDA sees 'better' GDP growth in 2012