Wednesday, 08 February 2012 12:00
Vice President Jejomar C. Binay has commended members of the Inter-Agency Council Against Trafficking (IACAT) for the rescue of 13 sexually-exploited women and 18 victims of illegal recruitment in two separate operations in Laguna and Tawi-Tawi.
“I thank all the member-agencies of the IACAT for their unwavering vigilance in going after human traffickers, especially those who exploit our women, children and less fortunate kababayans,” Binay said.
Binay, who sits as Chairman Emeritus of the IACAT, said the latest operations showed “the government’s resolve to end human trafficking in the country.”
The Vice President added that the latest operations would greatly increase the chances of the Philippines to improve its status in the Global Trafficking in Persons Report of the United States State Department.
IACAT members and the Women and Children’s Protection Division (WCPD) of the Biñan Police Station in Laguna rescued 13 women and arrested three suspected pimps at a resort in Biñan late Wednesday night.
IACAT personnel from the Philippine National Police Criminal Investigation and Detection Group and the Department of Justice (DoJ) posed as customers and ordered young women from the pimps for a stag party at the Presko Resort in Barangay San Antonio.
Upon delivery of the women, which included two minors aged 15 and 16 years, and payment of the marked money, the three pimps were arrested.
The rescued victims and the arrested suspects are now in the custody of the CIDG. The suspects will be charged with violation of Republic Act No. 9208 or the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act of 2003.
Meanwhile, joint elements of the IACAT, Tawi-Tawi Police Provincial Office, and the Tawi-Tawi Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) on Tuesday rescued seven women and 11 men who were about to be smuggled to Malaysia.
The 18 individuals were already on board the M/V Trisha 2 docked at the Bongao town pier when they were rescued.
They are now in the custody of the DSWD for debriefing and counseling.
- 10/02/2012 11:52 - NEDA sees over 4.6% GDP growth in Q1
- 10/02/2012 11:51 - Negros Oriental PDRRMC reports 11,576 families affected by quake
- 10/02/2012 11:51 - NFA reminds grains businessmen to renew permit
- 10/02/2012 11:50 - Prosecution requests subpoenae for Vizconde
- 08/02/2012 12:01 - Aquino says, no day off for him on his birthday
- 08/02/2012 12:00 - P-Noy appoints new CA Associate Justice, other officials in judiciary
- 08/02/2012 11:58 - South Cotabato seeks P68.2-M tax settlement deal with power coop
- 08/02/2012 11:54 - DAR IX holds regional confab on Operational Directives
- 08/02/2012 11:53 - President Aquino cites continuing government reforms for high dividend contributions of GOCCs
- 08/02/2012 11:52 - DAR exec visits rubber coops in Sibugay Province