Friday, 10 February 2012 11:50
The House of Representatives prosecution team has requested for the issuance of a subpoena requiring Lauro Vizconde to appear as witness in the impeachment trial of Supreme Court Chief Justice Renato Corona.
”His testimony will show that Chief Justice Corona met with him and Mr. Dante Jimenez sometime in September 2010. During the said meeting, Chief Justice Corona divulged information regarding Mr. Vizconde’s pending case,” Iloilo Rep. Niel Tupas Jr., head of the prosecution panel, stated in their request for subpoena.
Last January 24, Vizconde’s lawyer, Atty. Ferdinand Topacio reportedly confirmed that his client would testify in connection with the conversation that Vizconde had with Corona relative to his pending appeal before the high tribunal concerning the massacre of his family.
The prosecution also requested the impeachment court to subpoena Jimenez, founding chairman and president of the Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption (VACC).
According to the prosecution, Vizconde’s claim that he met with the Chief Justice while his case was pending before the SC could be a violation of judicial conduct.
Vizconde reportedly alleged that Corona informed him about alleged efforts of Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio to pressure fellow justices to vote for the acquittal of Hubert Webb.
Webb and six others charged with the murder of Vizconde’s wife Estrellita and daughters Carmela and Jennifer in 1991 were acquitted in December 2010.
When the subpoena is granted, Vizconde will testify under Article 3 of the impeachment complaint where Corona has been accused of failure to meet and observe the stringent standards as member of the judiciary due to the SC flip-flopping decisions in final and executory cases.
Corona has also been accused of creating an “excessive entanglement” with former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo who appointed him Chief Justice seven days after the May 10, 2010 national elections.
- 10/02/2012 11:53 - Aquino celebrates 52nd birthday visiting quake damaged areas; assures victims of immediate recovery
- 10/02/2012 11:53 - DA-ATI launches new agri-school concept
- 10/02/2012 11:52 - NEDA sees over 4.6% GDP growth in Q1
- 10/02/2012 11:51 - Negros Oriental PDRRMC reports 11,576 families affected by quake
- 10/02/2012 11:51 - NFA reminds grains businessmen to renew permit
- 08/02/2012 12:01 - Aquino says, no day off for him on his birthday
- 08/02/2012 12:00 - VP Binay hails IACAT rescue of trafficking, illegal recruitment victims in Laguna, Tawi-Tawi
- 08/02/2012 12:00 - P-Noy appoints new CA Associate Justice, other officials in judiciary
- 08/02/2012 11:58 - South Cotabato seeks P68.2-M tax settlement deal with power coop
- 08/02/2012 11:54 - DAR IX holds regional confab on Operational Directives