Friday, 10 February 2012 11:53
The Department of Agriculture (DA), through the Agricultural Training Institute (ATI) has launched the “Schools for Practical Agriculture” (SPA) or “Sanayan ng Pasasaka at Adhikaing Agrikultura,” a training concept with a more holistic and integrated community-based agribusiness ecotourism program where farmer-leaders will serve as the teachers and the community extension workers as learners with their farm lots as the “school” for hands-on training.
The program aims to harness the full potential of the less developed but resource-rich farming and fishing communities to showcase the agribusiness eco-tourism projects in their areas.
Aside from developing farming as a viable and productive occupation, the farmers and fishers shall likewise be encouraged to establish one-stop shops showcasing the local products and resources of the communities, thus creating more sources for income and livelihood.
This initiative will likewise strengthen the public-private partnership through investments and provision of counterpart resources between the local government and the farmers themselves as private individuals.
Those who will be identified as farmer-leaders will showcase their farms as practical agriculture learning sites for their fellow farmers and those aspiring to engage in farming.
DA will provide some incentives and benefits for the farmers that will be involved in the implementation of this SPA.
ATI extension offices in Mimaropa can provide more information to those who are interested to know more about the program. Just log on to
- 13/02/2012 12:22 - PHL gears up for new Ramsar bid
- 13/02/2012 12:21 - Recto seeks review of laws on foreign currency deposits, bank secrecy
- 13/02/2012 12:21 - SC justices belittle impeachment threat
- 11/02/2012 00:00 - Aquino names Escudero as member of U.P. Board of Regents; appoints new officials of the judiciary
- 10/02/2012 11:53 - Aquino celebrates 52nd birthday visiting quake damaged areas; assures victims of immediate recovery
- 10/02/2012 11:52 - NEDA sees over 4.6% GDP growth in Q1
- 10/02/2012 11:51 - Negros Oriental PDRRMC reports 11,576 families affected by quake
- 10/02/2012 11:51 - NFA reminds grains businessmen to renew permit
- 10/02/2012 11:50 - Prosecution requests subpoenae for Vizconde
- 08/02/2012 12:01 - Aquino says, no day off for him on his birthday