Monday, 13 February 2012 12:23
President Benigno S. Aquino III said his administration will continue its present thrust to carry out plans that create more job opportunities for Filipinos amid a sluggish global economy.
In an interview during the launching of an entrepreneurial program of the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) on Friday, the President said the target of his administration is to maximize employment for Filipinos through measures being implemented by various government agencies.
Since last year, the President said the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has been working with TESDA, the Department of Education (DepEd) and the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) so that jobs are matched with those applying for work.
“We have been investing in a… as an example, sa BPO (business process outsourcing) industry, we’re investing P500 million this year precisely to train them further to increase their possibility of getting employed in this sector that is really fast growing,” he said.
“Yung sector naman has been appealing to us to assist them for the managerial supervisory positions, they’re hard pressed to meet their targets. Parang ang daming oportunidad ang nasasayang dahil hindi pa natin na-develop yung talent for that.”
That industry expects to grow, according to the Chief Executive, noting however that the limiting factor for growth is the availability of talent and skilled workers that fit the job. As a response, the government carries out programs so that they get the training and skills they need at the earliest possible time.
Asked about the government’s job target this year, the President said he got a report saying there are one million new entrants to the marketplace. He noted that the employment rate last year, which was pegged at around 7 percent, was significant.
“The target is open-ended. Kaya nga yung mga programs na hina-highlight ng TESDA ngayon are those that have ready employment opportunities,” the President added.
- 14/02/2012 10:26 - Lawmakers hit defense team for trying to discredit senator-judges in ongoing impeachment trial
- 14/02/2012 10:25 - Pacquiao ponders on retirement after Bradley fight
- 14/02/2012 10:24 - PHL gears up for new Ramsar bid
- 13/02/2012 12:24 - President Aquino says BoC needs more time to carry out reforms
- 13/02/2012 12:23 - Chiz presses bill on waiver on bank deposits for gov't officials
- 13/02/2012 12:23 - Makabayan bloc to file resolution hitting SC TRO on Corona dollar accounts
- 13/02/2012 12:22 - PHL gears up for new Ramsar bid
- 13/02/2012 12:21 - Recto seeks review of laws on foreign currency deposits, bank secrecy
- 13/02/2012 12:21 - SC justices belittle impeachment threat
- 11/02/2012 00:00 - Aquino names Escudero as member of U.P. Board of Regents; appoints new officials of the judiciary