Wednesday, 22 September 2010 10:48
Cotabato City – The Department of Science and Technology – Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (DOST-ARMM) turned over Friday the 2nd batch of library materials to 20 elementary schools in Maguindanao as part of the Mindanao Opportunities for Vitalized Education and Upgrading of Science (MOVE UPS) project.
MOVE UPS is a three-year capacity-building project jointly undertaken by the DOST, the Science Education Institute (SEI) and the Department of Education (DepEd) which intends to enhance the performance of 60 identified elementary schools in Marawi City, Lanao del Norte, Lanao del Sur and Maguindanao in science and math.
Norma Dalamban, head of the technical division of DOST-ARMM said the project, which was started in 2008 and now on its final year of implementation, targets to increase the number of Muslim qualifiers at the Philippine Science High School – Central Mindanao Campus (PSHS-CMC) in Baloi, Lanao del Norte.
She said their implementation approach included the capability enhancement of the principal and teachers and the provision of critical learning materials and equipment in each school.
The project has in a way contributed to the substantial improvement in the performance of pupils in those schools according to a report presented by Dalamban during the turnover rites.
The library materials that were handed out included science and mathematics books and other learning aid. The same type of materials has also been distributed earlier to 30 other schools in Marawi City, Lanao del Sur and Lanao del Norte.
All 60 feeder schools also received Information and Communication Technology (ICT) equipment the previous year from the DOST, Dalamban said.
DOST-ARMM Assistant Secretary Abdulgalib Halud expressed high hopes that MOVE UPS will increase the interest and competence of young Muslims in science and math as he encouraged the principals and other officials of recipient schools to help sustain the gains of the project. (BPI/PIA9-BST)
- 23/09/2010 11:14 - Double whammy hits Puno
- 23/09/2010 10:59 - First Report of the Incident Investigation and Review Committee on the August 23, 2010 Rizal Park Hostage-taking Incident
- 22/09/2010 10:55 - Malaysia, return Sabah to Sulu now!
- 22/09/2010 10:50 - First Report of the Incident Investigation and Review Committee on the August 23, 2010 Rizal Park Hostage-taking Incident, September 16, 2010
- 22/09/2010 10:48 - Catholic hierarchy dismayed over spate of aborted fetuses abandoned by their mothers
- 22/09/2010 10:44 - Peace advocates conduct orientation for 'Week of Peace'
- 21/09/2010 12:29 - Growing Asian middle class fuels theme park boom?
- 21/09/2010 12:27 - RP tourism ends Hong Kong push after hostage deaths
- 21/09/2010 12:22 - All that Glitters!
- 20/09/2010 11:55 - The Pope's visit to the UK