Thursday, 16 February 2012 13:46
DAVAO CITY - The approval of the Davao City Council on the proposed P4.6-million steel bar rolling mill project last week signals the rise of the first steel plant in Mindanao, according to City Councilor Arnulfo Cabling, chair of the council committee on urban housing and development.
Speaking at the Kapihan sa Davao press conference at SM City, Davao, Cabling said the proposed plant, which will be constructed in Barangay Bunawan Proper, Bunawan District is a project of New Carcar Manufacturing Inc., a subsidiary of SteelAsia, said to be one of the biggest steel producers in the country.
Cabling, however, said the city council approved the project on condition that they will present to the legislative body a comprehensive greening and reforestation plan given that the project will produce huge carbon emissions.
Cabling said the city council gave the company 90 days since the approval of its project to submit the said requirement.
But Cabling said he heard that the company sought for an extension of time to submit the plan. The plant if realized would be the first steel plant in Mindanao, hence would supply Mindanao’s needs on steel and other rolling bar products.
The investment would also boost the construction industry in the city and the entire Mindanao, Cabling said.
Cabling said the reforestation requirement which the city council wants is not just planting trees but also greening like caring and nurturing of the planted plants considering the huge volume of carbon which the plant would emit since it will engage in massive burning.
SteelAsia is already operating steel plants in Cebu and Laguna.
Cabling said other conditions which they gave for the company to put up an industrial materials recovery facility that will utilize the waste products for conversion into environmental safe and cheap construction materials.
By PNA/ PIA9-ZBST
- 16/02/2012 13:49 - DOST-FNRI’s on-line nutrition school rated very satisfactory by students
- 16/02/2012 13:48 - Enrile assumes responsibility for issuing subpoena with attached 'fake documents'
- 16/02/2012 13:48 - Sen. Estrada files bill amending law on FCDU
- 16/02/2012 13:47 - SC orders Senate to comment on CJ Corona's supplemental petition
- 16/02/2012 13:46 - Houses at foot of Mt. Apo now lighted with solar power
- 15/02/2012 00:00 - Senate’s CCTV records show no such ‘small lady’
- 15/02/2012 00:00 - Execom holds 4th Tony Clarito 2012 President's Cup
- 14/02/2012 10:30 - President Aquino says BoC needs more time to carry out reforms
- 14/02/2012 10:29 - Minister Bloy: We need more immigrants to build Canada
- 14/02/2012 10:28 - Coloma urges Filipinos to initiate peace, development efforts founded on tenets of Aquino gov't