Thursday, 16 February 2012 13:46
DIGOS CITY, Davao del Sur -– Some 48 houses built at the foot of Mt. Apo in Sitio Sabwag, Barangay Kapatagan, this city were finally lighted with solar power through the Solar Energy Foundation of business tycoon Jaime Zobel Ayala.
Kapatagan barangay captain Juanito Morales said mountain climbers from the Kaya ng Pinoy Foundation donated the solar power lanterns used by the residents in the area.
Barangay Kapatagan is one of the routes where mountain hikers pass when climbing the country's highest peak.
Present during the turnover of the lanterns were Digos City Mayor Joseph Peas, Vice Mayor Reynaldo Hermosisima and other local officials.
Morales said the solar-powered lanterns will last longer than battery-operated flashlights. Once fully charged, each solar lantern will last for 100 hours using the normal selector and can be used for nine hours during the night.
He said the solar lanterns can charge cellular phones aside from providing light.
He also said most residents from neighboring areas are coming to their place just to charge their cellphones.
Students are also grateful for the solar lanterns, which aided them in their homework.
For the past 36 years, he said Sitio Sabwag had no electricity with residents only using gas and oil lamps at night.
By PNA/ PIA9-ZBST
- 16/02/2012 13:49 - Abad: PPPs to gain more traction in 2012 as gov't hikes up counterpart funds to P19.6-B
- 16/02/2012 13:49 - DOST-FNRI’s on-line nutrition school rated very satisfactory by students
- 16/02/2012 13:48 - Enrile assumes responsibility for issuing subpoena with attached 'fake documents'
- 16/02/2012 13:48 - Sen. Estrada files bill amending law on FCDU
- 16/02/2012 13:47 - SC orders Senate to comment on CJ Corona's supplemental petition
- 16/02/2012 13:46 - Mindanao's first steel plant soon to rise in Davao City
- 15/02/2012 00:00 - Senate’s CCTV records show no such ‘small lady’
- 15/02/2012 00:00 - Execom holds 4th Tony Clarito 2012 President's Cup
- 14/02/2012 10:30 - President Aquino says BoC needs more time to carry out reforms
- 14/02/2012 10:29 - Minister Bloy: We need more immigrants to build Canada