Thursday, 16 February 2012 13:49
Distance education or distance learning focuses on teaching methods and technology for delivering teachings to students who are not physically present in a traditional educational setting like the classroom, and is usually associated with e-learning or on-line learning.
E-learning comprises all forms of electronically supported learning and teaching like computers, laptops, tablets and the like.
In line with this innovation, the Food and Nutrition Research Institute of the Department of Science and Technology (or FNRI-DOST) in cooperation with Nestle Philippines, Inc. spearheaded the NutritionSchool.ph, the first of its kind on-line nutrition school, if not in the world, in the Philippines.
The school comprises of six modules namely: Basic Nutrition, Nutrition in the Life Cycle, Nutrition and Disease, Foods, Meal Management, and State of Nutrition in the Philippines.
Three years after its launch on October 25, 2007, the FNRI-DOST evaluated the effectiveness of the school as a nutrition education tool through on-line questionnaires among those who graduated at least from the first module.
The study showed that the online school is useful, accessible and helpful in arriving at healthy choices. Overall, the nutrition school received a “very satisfactory” rating among the fifty-three participants who responded to the on-line questionnaires.
However, the need to upgrade the system is recommended, nutrition school on-line is an endeavor in revolutionizing the way people think about and approach nutrition education.
For more information on food and nutrition, please contact: Dr. Mario V. Capanzana, Director, Food and Nutrition Research Institute, Department of Science and Technology, Bicutan, Taguig City; trunkline: 837 2071 local 2296 or 2287; telephone/fax no.: 837 3164, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com; website: http://www.fnri.dost.gov.ph
FNRI-DOST S & T Media Service: Press Release – JUND RIAN A. DORINGO
- 17/02/2012 12:35 - Avon sales slide as door-to-door reps leave
- 17/02/2012 12:33 - British man gives birth to baby boy
- 17/02/2012 12:32 - “Small lady” deserves the nation's thanks for exposing Corona’s hoard of bank accounts
- 16/02/2012 13:51 - House prosecutors insist Corona’s bank information genuine
- 16/02/2012 13:49 - Abad: PPPs to gain more traction in 2012 as gov't hikes up counterpart funds to P19.6-B
- 16/02/2012 13:48 - Enrile assumes responsibility for issuing subpoena with attached 'fake documents'
- 16/02/2012 13:48 - Sen. Estrada files bill amending law on FCDU
- 16/02/2012 13:47 - SC orders Senate to comment on CJ Corona's supplemental petition
- 16/02/2012 13:46 - Houses at foot of Mt. Apo now lighted with solar power
- 16/02/2012 13:46 - Mindanao's first steel plant soon to rise in Davao City