Tuesday, 21 February 2012 10:08
The Zamboanga del Norte police command has conducted a tree planting activity in support to President Benigno Simeon Aquino, III's National Greening Program (NGP).
Zamboanga del Norte police director Senior Supt. Ulpiano Lopez said they have planted on Wednesday some 3,500 assorted seedlings of different tree species along the riverbanks of Layawan River in Barangay Sangkol, Dipolog City, the province' capital.
Lopez said the tree planting activity was also participated by the police chiefs from the province' two cities and 25 municipalities aside from the personnel assigned at the provincial headquarters.
Lopez said soil erosion along the riverbanks of Layawan River could be prevented once all of the trees they have planted will fully grown.
Lopez said his command fully supports the NGP launched by President Aquino.
President Aquino has issued Executive Order No. 26 on February 24, 2011, declaring the implementation of the NGP as the government's priority program aimed to reduce poverty, promote food security, environmental stability and biodiversity conservation and enhance climate change mitigation and adaptation.
The NGP also seeks to improve water quality in rivers and irrigation systems, reduce the potential for flooding, soak up carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere, and lay the foundation for an expanded wood-products economy.
All government agencies and institutions, including local government units, are enjoined to support the NGP through tree planting activity and production of quality seedlings and mobilization of all government employees and the private sector for the purpose.
The program also enjoins the participation of the students from Grade 5 to college level.
- 21/02/2012 10:15 - President Aquino vows to heighten fight against illegal logging
- 21/02/2012 10:14 - NTC urged to curb illegal handset radio operator, jammers
- 21/02/2012 10:13 - P-Noy swears in new Solicitor General
- 21/02/2012 10:12 - Prosecutors want TV cameramen to testify in Corona’s impeachment trial
- 21/02/2012 10:10 - VCO has no cholesterol content says FNRI-DOST
- 17/02/2012 12:35 - Avon sales slide as door-to-door reps leave
- 17/02/2012 12:33 - British man gives birth to baby boy
- 17/02/2012 12:32 - “Small lady” deserves the nation's thanks for exposing Corona’s hoard of bank accounts
- 16/02/2012 13:51 - House prosecutors insist Corona’s bank information genuine
- 16/02/2012 13:49 - Abad: PPPs to gain more traction in 2012 as gov't hikes up counterpart funds to P19.6-B