Tuesday, 21 February 2012 10:10
Did you know that…?
Virgin coconut oil (VCO) is made up mostly of medium-chain saturated fatty acid with zero trans-fatty acid? This was revealed by the Food and Nutrition Research Institute of the Department of Science and Technology (FNRI-DOST).
Trans-fatty acids in fats and oils have been found to be a risk factor for coronary heart disease. It was made a mandatory component at the USDA Nutrition Labeling and Education Act (US NLEA) and Canada last January, 2003.
An FNRI study showed that the fatty acid profile and moisture content of VCO is within the Philippine National Standards and Bureau of Agriculture and Fisheries Products Standards (PNS/BAFPS), while trans-fatty acid content can be declared zero. Like any other vegetables, VCO has no cholesterol content.
VCO has gained more competitive advantage in palatability, health and immune system against other fats and oils.
VCO may be included in everyday meal to carry out fat requirement. It can be included to salads as dressing and breads and butters as spread, as well as in rice and porridge and potatoes for roasting. It can also be included in beverages like tea and coffee or shakes and smoothies. Moreover, VCO has many other benefits aside from its nutritional and culinary uses ranging from moisturizing the skin, improving the immune system, healing diseases and even as insect repellants and biodiesel engine fuel.
With its abundant visibility across the region, everyone must take advantage of the goodness of VCO. A little creativity and innovation will jump start the potential market of the VCO industry.
For more information, contact: Dr. Mario V. Capanzana, Director, FNRI-DOST, General Santos Avenue, Bicutan, Taguig City; Telefax Numbers: 837-2934 and 837-3164; email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org; website: http://www.fnri.dost.gov.ph.
FNRI-DOST S & T Media Service: Info Bits – JUND RIAN A. DORINGO
- 21/02/2012 10:16 - Kiko: PHL should look into investments in 'Black Gold'
- 21/02/2012 10:15 - President Aquino vows to heighten fight against illegal logging
- 21/02/2012 10:14 - NTC urged to curb illegal handset radio operator, jammers
- 21/02/2012 10:13 - P-Noy swears in new Solicitor General
- 21/02/2012 10:12 - Prosecutors want TV cameramen to testify in Corona’s impeachment trial
- 21/02/2012 10:08 - Zambo del Norte cops hold tree planting in support to PNoy's greening program
- 17/02/2012 12:35 - Avon sales slide as door-to-door reps leave
- 17/02/2012 12:33 - British man gives birth to baby boy
- 17/02/2012 12:32 - “Small lady” deserves the nation's thanks for exposing Corona’s hoard of bank accounts
- 16/02/2012 13:51 - House prosecutors insist Corona’s bank information genuine