Tuesday, 21 February 2012 10:15
Baler, Aurora - President Benigno S. Aquino III said the government needs to step up the fight against illegal logging activities particularly after the murder of a Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) forest personnel in Cagayan.
“Ang focus natin doon ... may forestry guard na kakapatay doon sa mismong opisina niya. So ito ho ang pino-point out ng Secretary ng ating DENR na kailangan na talagang matugunan, ang illegal logging,” the President said in an interview during the inauguration of the Aurora Memorial Hospital here.
“Nagkakaroon na ng karahasan laban sa ating mga nagbabantay ng kagubatan at yun ang huhulihin natin sa lalong madaling panahon at dadalhin sa korte. Pero, other than that, i-improve pa natin ang proseso,” he added.
The government has to augment the resources for the government’s task force against illegal logging to finally stop illegal logging activities in the Sierra Madre mountain range, the President said when he was asked by local reporters.
Last week, Melania Dirain, 46, the DENR forest specialist in Sanchez Mira, was attacked in her office. She died of five gunshot wounds in the chest. A forest specialist is the second highest-ranking officer in a community environment and natural resources office (Cenro). Her main task is enforcement of forest protection laws.
The President was in Aurora province Sunday to attend the 33rd foundation anniversary of the province. He also inaugurated the Aurora Memorial Hospital here.
- 21/02/2012 10:19 - P'Noy accomplished quite a bit just for 18 months - De Venecia
- 21/02/2012 10:18 - Two ABC pupils, 9th National Science Quest Champions
- 21/02/2012 10:18 - DOST launches solution to the water hyacinth problem
- 21/02/2012 10:17 - DSWD KALAHI-CIDSS IX wins five nat’l awards
- 21/02/2012 10:16 - Kiko: PHL should look into investments in 'Black Gold'
- 21/02/2012 10:14 - NTC urged to curb illegal handset radio operator, jammers
- 21/02/2012 10:13 - P-Noy swears in new Solicitor General
- 21/02/2012 10:12 - Prosecutors want TV cameramen to testify in Corona’s impeachment trial
- 21/02/2012 10:10 - VCO has no cholesterol content says FNRI-DOST
- 21/02/2012 10:08 - Zambo del Norte cops hold tree planting in support to PNoy's greening program