Wednesday, 22 February 2012 10:29
Did you know that of the thirteen fruits studied by the Food and Nutrition Research Institute of the Department of Science and Technology (or FNRI- DOST) for their Glycemic Index or GI, most were found to have low G.I.? Glycemic index is a number representing the increase in the level of blood glucose when we eat food with carbohydrates. Saba banana, seedless grapes, Chinese pears, cantaloupe, watermelon, jackfruit, ripe carabao mango, papaya, red apple, guava and avocado have low GI. However, lakatan banana, pineapple and raisins have medium GI.
A book entitled “Glycemic Index or G.I. of commonly consumed carbohydrate foods in the Philippines” is now for sale at the FNRI-DOST at 250 pesos for the soft-bound and 300 pesos for the hard-bound copy. The book is a useful reference for diabetics who have to monitor their blood glucose level and also for health buffs who watch their weight.
This message is brought to you by the Food and Nutrition Research Institute of the Department of Science and Technology, the government’s lead agency on food and nutrition research and development. For more information, contact: Dr. Mario V. Capanzana, Director, FNRI-DOST, General Santos Avenue, Bicutan, Taguig City; Telefax Numbers: 837-2934 and 837-3164; email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com; website: http://www.fnri.dost.gov.ph.
by: FNRI-DOST S & T Media Service: Info Bits – SALVADOR R. SERRANO
- 23/02/2012 15:09 - Cebu Pacific selects Rolls-Royce TotalCare®
- 23/02/2012 15:09 - Purisima reiterates PHL’s credit rating is underrated
- 23/02/2012 15:08 - STI College to LEAD the change
- 22/02/2012 10:31 - House justice panel finds probable cause to impeach Del Castillo
- 22/02/2012 10:30 - Coconut sugar and syrup are promising alternative sweeteners
- 22/02/2012 10:27 - Zambo Sur mountain turning into graveyard, toxic land
- 21/02/2012 10:23 - Army division officers and men support Mindanao peace process
- 21/02/2012 10:22 - Casiño says mining industry needs more than an EO to reform
- 21/02/2012 10:21 - Human rights violation raps affect performance of Davao cops
- 21/02/2012 10:19 - P'Noy accomplished quite a bit just for 18 months - De Venecia