Friday, 23 March 2012 00:00
Being an OFW does not automatically include the greener pastures globalization promises. While some may have found their dreams outside of the Philippines, many of our fellow Filipinos, serving particularly in the Middle East, suffers not only the vapid, lonely life of being an OFW, but also the persecution, maltreatment, and the constant paranoia that conflict can break out at any time.
The resilience of the Filipino spirit gives the OFW the strength to endure all these – but resilience can only take you so far. That is why Sun Cellular, in partnership National Telecommunications Commission (NTC), sponsored a Libreng Tawag activity at the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) from March 9 to 16, 2012. Dubbed as “Operation Syria Libreng Tawag”, the Sun Cellular-NTC activity gave an opportunity to the families of our OFWs to get in touch with their loved ones abroad, particularly those displaced by the ongoing conflict in Syria.
Syria is currently undergoing an uprising against Syrian president Bashar al-Assad’s government.
Hundreds of family members flocked the OWWA building over the whole week. While originally meant to serve those who have relatives in Syria, the Libreng Tawag booth entertained calls to other countries as well.
During the event, Tina (real name withheld) managed to call her aunt in Qatar to inform her that she finally has a chance to come home after suffering from sexual harassment abroad. Through coordination with the Philippine Embassy in Qatar, Tina’s aunt boarded the most immediate flight home later that day.
“We are very thankful to Sun Cellular for supporting us in our effort to reach out to our countrymen abroad, especially in Syria,” said Linda C. Mercado, NTC’s Consultant for the Office of the Commissioner. Mercado herself was one of the people who manned the booth for the whole week.
To find out where and when the next Libreng Tawag event will be, log on to Sun Cellular’s Facebook page: facebook.com/suncellularph or follow them on Twitter: twitter.com/suncelltweets.
Sun Cellular is a member of the PLDT Group.
- 26/03/2012 11:55 - Hagedorn says tourism in Palawan now a P4-B industry
- 24/03/2012 14:14 - Severe headaches tied to suicide attempts: study
- 24/03/2012 14:13 - Whitney Houston drowned with cocaine in system: coroner
- 24/03/2012 14:13 - DPLMHS holds recollection for graduating students
- 24/03/2012 14:12 - PHL approves new visa policies for foreign tourists
- 23/03/2012 00:00 - WMSU holds Baccalaureate Mass
- 21/03/2012 14:14 - Colmenares to Corona: “Stop your double talk and double standard!”
- 21/03/2012 14:13 - Senate leadership assures verdict on Corona’s trial before sine die adjournment
- 21/03/2012 14:13 - Enrile opposes reduction of VAT on petroleum products
- 21/03/2012 14:12 - OPEC oil prices continue to rise