Tuesday, 10 April 2012 12:04
The first batch of beneficiaries this year of the Summer Program for the Employment of Students (SPES), a joint program of the city government and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), will begin their 20-day summer job next week.
City Social Welfare and Development Officer Francisco Barredo said 1,570 college students will be formally sworn into their respective designations on April 10 at the Mayor Vitaliano Agan Coliseum during an orientation that will be spearheaded by Mayor Celso Lobregat.
Barredo said that the SPES beneficiaries will be assigned to different offices of the city government and barangays.
At least a hundred of the beneficiaries will be assigned to plant mangrove propagules at designated areas with the Office of the City Environment and Natural Resources (OCENR) as the facilitating unit, Barredo said.
He said each of the students will receive P200 per day or a total of P4,000 for the 20-day summer job.
The SPES, which is implemented nationwide, mandates the 60-40 sharing for the students’ salaries by the local government unit and the DOLE.
The city government has allocated over P9 million for this year’s SPES while the DOLE regional office appropriated P5 million for the program in this city.
The program, which provides seasonal and temporary job placement for both high school and college students, is a well-praised project, giving indigent but deserving students the chance to finance their studies through work.
Barredo said the second batch of summer job qualifiers composed of about 1,600 high school students will start their 20-day employment on May 4 until May 28.
Since majority of the student-employees will be assigned to the different barangays, Barredo is appealing to the barangay officials to judiciously monitor the work ethics of the students as the program is not only intended for financial gains but also for students to appreciate the value of work.
- 12/04/2012 11:58 - RP re-elected to UN information body
- 12/04/2012 11:57 - Aquino, Emir of Qatar witness signing of four agreements
- 12/04/2012 11:56 - All systems go for 1st Mindanao Power Summit
- 12/04/2012 11:55 - Sun Cellular unveils text all 15 load variant exclusive to Mindanao
- 10/04/2012 12:05 - PHL population hit 92.34M in 2010
- 09/04/2012 00:00 - ABI to provide scholarship to 1,250 military dependents
- 09/04/2012 00:00 - Six suspected members of Taiwan's int'l drug ring barred entry at NAIA?
- 03/04/2012 12:10 - Filipinos well-off in Cambodia, says ambassador
- 03/04/2012 12:05 - Skylanterns light up Zambo skies on Earth Hour 2012
- 03/04/2012 12:05 - EU to take up lifting of sanctions vs Myanmar on April 23