Tuesday, 10 April 2012 12:05
The Philippine population as of 2010 reached 92.34 million, higher by 15.83 million compared to the 76.51 million in 2000, according to the National Statistics Office (NSO).
Data from NSO show that the population increased at the rate of 1.90 percent annually, on the average, during the period 2000 to 2010.
This means that there were two persons added per year for every 100 persons in the population.
In 1990, the total population was 60.70 million.
Among the 17 regions, CALABARZON had the largest population with 12.61 million, followed by the National Capital Region (NCR) with 11.86 million and Central Luzon with 10.14 million.
The population of these three regions together comprised 37.47 percent of the Philippine population.
Among the provinces, Cavite had the largest population with 3.09 million. This was followed by Bulacan with 2.92 million and Pangasinan with 2.78 million.
Six other provinces surpassed the two million mark: Laguna (2.67 million); Cebu, excluding its three highly urbanized cities Cebu City, Lapu-Lapu City, and Mandaue City (2.62 million); Rizal (2.48 million); Negros Occidental, excluding Bacolod City (2.40 million); Batangas (2.38 million) and Pampanga, excluding Angeles City (2.01 million).
The provinces with a population of less than 100,000 persons were Batanes (16,604), Camiguin (83,807), and Siquijor (91,066).
Of the 33 highly urbanized cities (HUC), four surpassed the one million mark. Three of such HUCs are in NCR: Quezon City (2.76 million), City of Manila (1.65 million), and Caloocan City (1.49 million).
Outside NCR, only Davao City has a population of more than one million (1.45 million).
The census counts up to the barangay level were made official with the signing by President Benigno S. Aquino III of Proclamation No. 362 on March 30, 2012.
- 12/04/2012 12:01 - PHL files diplomatic protest vs. China over incursion into Scarborough Shoal
- 12/04/2012 11:58 - RP re-elected to UN information body
- 12/04/2012 11:57 - Aquino, Emir of Qatar witness signing of four agreements
- 12/04/2012 11:56 - All systems go for 1st Mindanao Power Summit
- 12/04/2012 11:55 - Sun Cellular unveils text all 15 load variant exclusive to Mindanao
- 10/04/2012 12:04 - All set for Summer Job program in Zambo City
- 09/04/2012 00:00 - ABI to provide scholarship to 1,250 military dependents
- 09/04/2012 00:00 - Six suspected members of Taiwan's int'l drug ring barred entry at NAIA?
- 03/04/2012 12:10 - Filipinos well-off in Cambodia, says ambassador
- 03/04/2012 12:05 - Skylanterns light up Zambo skies on Earth Hour 2012