Monday, 27 September 2010 15:01
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on Friday revised the recall order on two infant milk products and declared them fit for human consumption.
The Mead Johnson Nutrition Philippines, Inc. (MJNPI), maker of infant milk, confirmed that Health Secretary Dr. Enrique T. Ona and top officials of the FDA revised the recall order.
MJN spokesman Janryll Fernandez said in a text message to the Philippines News Agency (PNA)that they were happy with the sudden turn of events.
Ona said this was to avoid speculation that there were no safety issues involved with the Mead Johnson products ordered for withdrawal.
Milk products ordered for recall on Sept. 16 were Alactagrow Bibo Trio Milk Supplement and Sustagen Junior Milk Powder (Vanilla flavor) due to alleged non-compliance with the standard fat level content per 100 calories of the product.
MJNPI is set to release a reformulated version of Alactagrow in the market this week while Sustagen is in the process of renewing its formulation.
Earlier, responding to an administrative recall order from the FDA to remove current supplies from distribution and sale, MJNPI assured consumers that there was no safety issue with the products Alactagrow and Sustagen Junior.
The FDA has issued a Class III order, the lowest level, on products that have technical compliance issues.
Under FDA regulation, a Class III order specifically states that the use of or exposure to the product “is not likely to cause adverse health consequences.”
“Safety is Mead Johnson’s highest priority and the company spares no effort to comply with the laws of all of the countries in which it operates,” said MJNPI president and general manager Paul Richards.
“All of the company’s products are produced in accordance with the CODEX Code of Hygienic Practice for Foods for Infants and Children,” he said. (PNA)
- 28/09/2010 12:50 - Five surprising ways you're ruining your skin
- 27/09/2010 15:13 - Don't charge the messengers
- 27/09/2010 15:05 - Is ARMM a sectarian sub-state?
- 27/09/2010 15:04 - “P-Noy beware! The good die young!”
- 27/09/2010 15:01 - 8 myths about being single
- 27/09/2010 14:59 - Palace to respect Comelec's appointment ban
- 27/09/2010 14:58 - Aquino encourages foreign businessmen to invest in RP
- 26/09/2010 00:00 - Cautious optimism in RP as peace talks to resume
- 26/09/2010 00:00 - A Governor on track
- 26/09/2010 00:00 - Turn back the clock on your life: 7 ways to keep yourself young.