Thursday, 12 April 2012 11:57
President Benigno S. Aquino III and His Highness Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al-Thani, the Emir of Qatar witnessed the signing of four government-to-government agreements Tuesday in Malacanang.
The Emir of Qatar arrived in the country Tuesday afternoon for a two-day state visit. The two countries sealed agreements on tourism, legal and justice, agriculture and fishery cooperation as well as investments. A private sector agreement on the establishment of joint business council between the Philippines and Qatar was also signed.
The memorandum of understanding (MOU) on tourism cooperation is expected to create favorable conditions for long-term ties in tourism industry for the mutual benefit of the Philippines and Qatar.
On the legal front, the MOU on cooperation in the legal field will encourage sharing of experiences and best practices in the performance of the mandates of both countries in their respective ministries of justice.
An MOU on agricultural and fisheries cooperation, which will establish the general framework for cooperation in agriculture and fisheries of both countries, was also signed. The agreement is expected to foster sectoral development and enhance agri-related trade and investments between the two countries.
Among the areas included in this field are crops technology, vegetable and fruit preservation, biotechnology, post harvest technology, livestock and fisheries, coastal and deep-sea fishing management, irrigation, water resources and halal industry.
Both countries are also enhancing tie-ups on investment cooperation the signing of an MOU that involves the Department of Trade and Industry and the Qatar Holdings Limited Liability Corporation.
This MOU would explore the investment opportunities in the Philippines in various sectors including natural resources, commodities, energy, agriculture and infrastructure.
Aside from the government-to-government agreements, a private sector tie up on the establishment of a joint business council between the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the Qatari Chamber of Commerce and Industry was also forged.
by: PIA-9 ZBST
- 12/04/2012 12:06 - Iranian navy rescues eight captive Filipino seamen; two die during rescue operations
- 12/04/2012 12:05 - Mindanao open to nuclear power plant
- 12/04/2012 12:04 - Osaka to call for abolition of nuclear power plant
- 12/04/2012 12:01 - PHL files diplomatic protest vs. China over incursion into Scarborough Shoal
- 12/04/2012 11:58 - RP re-elected to UN information body
- 12/04/2012 11:56 - All systems go for 1st Mindanao Power Summit
- 12/04/2012 11:55 - Sun Cellular unveils text all 15 load variant exclusive to Mindanao
- 10/04/2012 12:05 - PHL population hit 92.34M in 2010
- 10/04/2012 12:04 - All set for Summer Job program in Zambo City
- 09/04/2012 00:00 - ABI to provide scholarship to 1,250 military dependents