Questions to reflect on and a call to respond Statement of the Interfaith Council of Leaders – Zamboanga City
Wednesday, 18 April 2012 16:56
In sixteen weeks since January 2012, the number of killings in the city of Zamboanga has reached close to a hundred. Four persons die of violence every week. But the most shocking of these atrocities has been the recent gunning down of Dr. Arturo F. Eustaquio III, Al Haj, on a Sunday afternoon, during the christian Holy Week, by yet unidentified persons, whose motive to kill is only matched by their wanton disregard for the law and disrespect for human life.
We the people of this city, and members of the inter-faith council of leaders (IFCL), are now at the mercy of this unwarranted and unwanted circumstance, as we watch in utter helplessness and unsafety the fate of the next victim or victims, which may also be our own.
As we pause to reflect on the fate of this city, we pose the following questions that beg to be responded to by those in authority, or have the power to control the events and direction of this city:
ø What is happening to the city of Zamoboanga?
ø Does the city have the political will to lead and govern, to put a stop to the killings and institute measures on peace and order?
ø What is happening to this society that prides itself of having erected churches, temples and mosques, with equal zeal to display strong obeisance to the almighty?
ø What is happening to our law enforcement, and our law enforcers?
ø What is happening to our legal and justice systems?
ø What will happen to all of us, when we can no longer walk the streets and stroll at the paseo de zamboanga, with our families and friends?
ø What is zamboanga city without its people?
ø What will happen next?
a thousand more questions are in our minds, because we love this city, and the people. we enjoin all to do something, and act now!
- 18/04/2012 17:01 - MRDP to hold PO gab
- 18/04/2012 17:00 - No more pine trees to be cut in SM expansion plan - Robredo
- 18/04/2012 17:00 - Mindanaoans hold cultural protest vs. RP-US Balikatan
- 18/04/2012 16:59 - Sun offers more payment channels forsubscribers
- 18/04/2012 16:57 - Korean-American selected to lead World Bank
- 17/04/2012 00:00 - Iranian nuclear talks resulted in positive achievements - Chinese representative
- 17/04/2012 00:00 - New UN resolution marks crucial step to bring peace to Syria
- 17/04/2012 00:00 - 'Balikatan 2012' not in response to ongoing Scarborough Shoal standoff - AFP
- 17/04/2012 00:00 - Police tag 4 MILF members as responsible for grenade attack in North Cotabato?
- 17/04/2012 00:00 - N. Korea wastes millions of dollars on rockets while people starve - Obama